Lewis and Women, to amalgamate two recent threads

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Bonnie, I love the idea of your jock parody - DO write it. But after his
      years of Oxford tutoring, I am sure he was well aware of the vagaries and
      stupidities of a male mind. Take a look, for instance, at what he says
      about the prefects and the jock stars at Malvern ("Wyvern") in SURPRISED BY
      JOY.

      I'm also waiting for a Frey-type parody which explains all the major, major
      lies in SURPRISED BY JOY. Mr Bratman? Dr Williams?

      From: "jchristopher" <jchristopher@...>

      > Dorothy L. Sayers says in a couple of her letters (not those to Lewis)
      > that
      > Lewis is good on Christian belief in books like _Mere Christianity_, but
      > that
      > he doesn't understand women.

      In one of her essays, she goes on at length about how Jesus never adopted an
      "attitude towards women" but simply spoke to them... as to ... people.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Speaking of jockery, exhibit at Birmingham Public Library during
        Tolkien 2005 showed that some of Tolkien's earliest published work was...

        ...Sportswriting! Mock-heroic coverage of King Edward's cricket and
        rugger matches.

        Sincerely,
        Mike
        [Undefeated co-captain of the Age & Cunning side of the Old Zogonians
        Cricket Club, Washington, Ill, 1993-96
        & in-progress author of 'Casey' parody 'Frodo at the Crack.']

        Stolzi wrote:

        >Bonnie, I love the idea of your jock parody - DO write it. But after his
        >years of Oxford tutoring, I am sure he was well aware of the vagaries and
        >stupidities of a male mind. Take a look, for instance, at what he says
        >about the prefects and the jock stars at Malvern ("Wyvern") in SURPRISED BY
        >JOY.
        >
        >I'm also waiting for a Frey-type parody which explains all the major, major
        >lies in SURPRISED BY JOY. Mr Bratman? Dr Williams?
        >
        >From: "jchristopher" <jchristopher@...>
        >

        >>Dorothy L. Sayers says in a couple of her letters (not those to Lewis)
        >>that
        >>Lewis is good on Christian belief in books like _Mere Christianity_, but
        >>that
        >>he doesn't understand women.
        >>

        >In one of her essays, she goes on at length about how Jesus never adopted an
        >"attitude towards women" but simply spoke to them... as to ... people.
        >
        >Diamond Proudbrook

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          > Mike

          > & in-progress author of 'Casey' parody 'Frodo at the Crack.']

          I take it this is longer and funnier than my own "Gandalf at the Bridge" of
          some years back?

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            Diamond,
            I doubt it, but I would certainly read yours gladly. Gary Hunnewell is
            also at work [?] on a Casey vesrion with Bandobras Took inventing golf.

            Cheers,
            Mike