A comment to Cai

  • jchristopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dorothy L. Sayers says in a couple of her letters (not those to Lewis) that
      Lewis is good on Christian belief in books like _Mere Christianity_, but that
      he doesn't understand women. Any of us can see the obvious things that might
      have caused her to say this--the male headship of the family in _MC_ with its
      appeal to a type of common knowledge about men and women neighbors, for
      example. Sometime there needs to be a very good discussion of Lewis on women;
      most that I have seen have been fairly brief or ones that appeal to standards
      as assumed as Lewis's. (Have I forgotten some important essay?) Sayers, one
      remembers, refused to write an essay against women priests when Lewis
      suggested it to her (so he wrote "Priestesses in the Church" on his own);
      Sayers said she agreed that the Anglican Church shouldn't have women priests
      because it divided the Church from the Roman and the Orthodox--but,
      theologically, she could see no reason against it. Lewis's essay argues from
      a archetypal view of the sexes. (In some Lord Peter fiction--I forget
      which--when a man says he doesn't know how to talk to women--that is, a
      particular woman--Lord Peter says she's educated, so he is to talk to her as
      he would to a man. It certainly suggests a different view of the sexes than
      Lewis's--but Lewis, in practice, enjoyed meeting with Sayers, and it was he
      that suggested they call each other by their first names. Lewis may have had
      an intellectual theory about the sexes that didn't apply in practice. That's
      what a good essay would pin down.)

      --Joe