General

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 13 7:31 PM
      > What does this mailing list do?

      The Mythopoeic Society list is open to discussion of Mythopoeic works
      (novels and so forth), and of Mythopoeic Society business.

      Joan
      List administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13 8:09 PM
        FrMacKen@... wrote:

        > From: FrMacKen@...
        >
        > Hello,
        > This is my first email to your society. I am a great devotee to
        > Tolkien as well as a student of Celtic lore. This letter is to make my
        > presence known and to put forth a query: What does this mailing list do?
        > Forgive me for this naiveness of mine. I know the goal of the Mythopoeic
        > Society, but not of this mailing list. It seemed like a good list to be on.
        > I hope to hear a reply soon.
        > Thank you
        > Ron Speer

        I lend my hardy second to Ron's naive query -- two naive wanderers now
        on a quest, I suppose, to find out how we might engage in noble
        discussion on this list.

        I joined several days ago, and had all but forgotten until Ron's
        e-mail. I am a C. S. Lewis fan myself and thought the list might be a
        good place to learn and discuss. Are there others here, or are Ron and
        I alone? Ron, I have been staring at my Tolkein volumes -- some, I
        hesitantly confess I have owned for a while but have never read --
        thinking of launching into a fresh read of familiar works, and a
        first-time read of those works into which I have yet to journey.

        I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
        MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
        and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
        suggestions on the best way to proceed?

        Blessings,

        Jim Bohannon
        Milledgeville, Georgia
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14 8:04 AM
          FrMacKen@... wrote:

          > From: FrMacKen@...
          >
          > Hello,
          > This is my first email to your society. I am a great devotee to
          > Tolkien as well as a student of Celtic lore. This letter is to make my
          > presence known and to put forth a query: What does this mailing list do?
          > Forgive me for this naiveness of mine. I know the goal of the Mythopoeic
          > Society, but not of this mailing list. It seemed like a good list to be on.
          > I hope to hear a reply soon.
          > Thank you
          > Ron Speer

          Essentially, allows a forum for discussion of literature about Tolkien,
          C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. You'd fit right in. Take the plunge
          and start posting opinions---we love new victi---ooops---minds. ---djb.
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 14 8:13 AM
            Jim Bohannon wrote:

            > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
            >
            > FrMacKen@... wrote:
            > >
            > > From: FrMacKen@...
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > > This is my first email to your society. I am a great devotee to
            > > Tolkien as well as a student of Celtic lore. This letter is to make my
            > > presence known and to put forth a query: What does this mailing list do?
            > > Forgive me for this naiveness of mine. I know the goal of the Mythopoeic
            > > Society, but not of this mailing list. It seemed like a good list to be on.
            > > I hope to hear a reply soon.
            > > Thank you
            > > Ron Speer
            >
            > I lend my hardy second to Ron's naive query -- two naive wanderers now
            > on a quest, I suppose, to find out how we might engage in noble
            > discussion on this list.
            >
            > I joined several days ago, and had all but forgotten until Ron's
            > e-mail. I am a C. S. Lewis fan myself and thought the list might be a
            > good place to learn and discuss. Are there others here, or are Ron and
            > I alone? Ron, I have been staring at my Tolkein volumes -- some, I
            > hesitantly confess I have owned for a while but have never read --
            > thinking of launching into a fresh read of familiar works, and a
            > first-time read of those works into which I have yet to journey.
            >
            > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
            > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
            > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
            > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
            >
            > Blessings,
            >
            > Jim Bohannon
            > Milledgeville, Georgia

            You're obviously a different Jim Bohannon from the radio host! :)
            Welcome to the list and the society. I much enjoy CSL myself, and I
            think my love for Tolkien is equivalent---usu. my fave of the two is
            "the one I'm reading right now." I have *Phantastes,* *Lilith* and *The
            Princess and Curdie.* Not to mention a good number of G. K.
            Chestertons.
            I lok forward to good conversations. ---djb.
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 14 9:45 AM
              Welcome to the new participants, "hi" to Diane, and an introduction.

              I'm Mary Stolzenbach, more than middle-aged, residing in Brentwood Tennessee,
              a 20 or 25 yr member of the Mythopoeic Society and a new member of this List.

              I hope our new members will seriously consider coming to the Mythcon this
              summer in Milwaukee, where our beloved authors will be discussed morning,
              noon and night, with a special focus on Tolkien this year. I don't know a
              more fun way to spend a weekend.

              If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
              three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
              quite serious project.

              The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

              Some of us of course find =no= film adaptations adequate, but there are some
              interesting pages of art with their conceptions of certain scenes, an
              interesting page of possibilities for casting, and a discussion board for
              those who want to pitch in.

              Since the subject seems to be leaning towards Tolkien, what about a
              discussion of him during the weeks to come? I'm just about ready to start a
              re-read of LOTR in preparation for the Con, and looking forward to it =very=
              much.

              For more discussion of Lewis, see also Mere Lewis web page at:
              http://members.aol.com/dwalheim/merelewis.html

              where you can sign on to the MereLewis list.

              Also, Mythies like to discuss recent fantasy which is, or may be, in the
              tradition of the Inklings.

              Mary S
            • Staci Dumoski
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 14 9:59 AM
                On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 Stolzi@... wrote:

                > If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
                > three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
                > quite serious project.
                >
                > The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

                Additionally, the official production web site is up at
                http://www.lordoftherings.net/

                There isn't much there yet, but there are really lovely conceptual
                drawings/photos (some are a combo); if they can achieve the vision
                expressed there, they'll be halfway to a good film. Of course, the rest
                will depend on script and casting...

                And yes, they did spell "Gandalf" as "Gandolf" in one of the captions.
                Hopefully, it was just a slip of the fingers...

                Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
                Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
                editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 14 5:02 PM
                  Diane Baker wrote:

                  > Essentially, allows a forum for discussion of literature about Tolkien,
                  > C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams.

                  Forgot to add that we also discuss other fantasy, and nominate current
                  books for the Mythopoeic Awards, given annually at the Mythcon. We do
                  three awards: scholarship, children's and adult fantasy. Would love to
                  hear about some of the Celtic lore you've been reading. ---djb.
                • Jerome J. Schultz II
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 14 5:24 PM
                    At 12:45 PM 6/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
                    >From: Stolzi@...
                    >If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
                    >three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
                    >quite serious project.
                    >The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

                    Mellyn,

                    I have also been provided a link to a great site which appears to be the
                    official movie page. With sketches based on the guidance of Alan Lee and John
                    Howe.

                    http://www.lordoftherings.net/index.html

                    If you double-click on the sketches you will be provided a much more detailed
                    piece of art. I especially enjoyed the unlabeled pieces.

                    Namarie,

                    Jerry Schultz
                  • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 14 8:53 PM
                      Jim,
                      I can't believe the amount of email I have recieved by my query. I am
                      not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
                      were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.
                      The other authors that you have mentioned are not known to me. My own
                      forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
                      Tanith Lee.
                      Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
                      conversed at times.
                      Thank you for the letter,
                      Diolch yn fawr.
                      Ron Speer
                    • Jim Bohannon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 14 9:17 PM
                        FrMacKen@... wrote:

                        > From: FrMacKen@...
                        >
                        > Jim,
                        > I can't believe the amount of email I have received by my query.

                        Hey Ron, it looks like our naive questions helped bring the list
                        wonderfully to life! I'm glad you posted something.

                        > I am not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
                        > were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.

                        Yes, they were part of the group known as the Inklings. C. S. Lewis
                        claims to have been influenced by George MacDonald. Yes there is
                        significant interconnection between Tolkein and Lewis. Please, give
                        them a try. I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                        about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                        Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am
                        excited about this!

                        > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
                        > Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
                        > conversed at times.

                        I am familiar with Tanith Lee and Terri Windling. Just curious, aren't
                        these authors associated more with the contemporary horror genre? I
                        would really like to learn more about their work. Many thanks!

                        Blessings,
                        Jim
                      • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 15 4:51 PM
                          In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          bohannon@... writes:

                          > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                          > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
                          > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
                          > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
                          >
                          > Blessings,
                          >
                          > Jim Bohannon
                          > Milledgeville, Georgia
                          Jim,
                          when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.

                          Leslie Maloney

                          A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
                          seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
                          and some good company.
                          Damn, Virginia is boring.

                          (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)
                        • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 15 4:52 PM
                            So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                            give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

                            Leslie Maloney,
                            Hampton, VA
                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 15 6:16 PM
                              In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              LeslieJ55@... writes:

                              > old Mythie feeling lonely

                              Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
                              there.

                              Mary S
                            • Diane Baker
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 15 8:36 PM
                                LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                                > From: LeslieJ55@...
                                >
                                > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                > bohannon@... writes:
                                >
                                > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                                > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
                                > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
                                > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
                                > >
                                > > Blessings,
                                > >
                                > > Jim Bohannon
                                > > Milledgeville, Georgia
                                > Jim,
                                > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
                                >
                                > Leslie Maloney
                                >
                                > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
                                > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
                                > and some good company.
                                > Damn, Virginia is boring.
                                >
                                > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

                                Leslie:

                                I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
                                maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

                                Another aging hobbit
                                with a penchant for Earl Grey.
                              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 16 6:51 AM
                                  LeslieJ55@... writes:

                                  > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                                  > > MacDonald.

                                  There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                                  simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                                  quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                                  were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                                  Mary S
                                • Wayne G. Hammond
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 16 7:04 AM
                                    Mary wrote:

                                    >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                                    >> > MacDonald.
                                    >
                                    >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                                    >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                                    >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                                    >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                                    It's:

                                    Johannesen Printing and Publishing
                                    P.O. Box 24
                                    Whitethorn, CA 95589

                                    Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

                                    Wayne Hammond
                                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 16 7:22 AM

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 18 8:35 AM
                                        Jim Bohannon wrote:

                                        > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                                        >
                                        > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > From: FrMacKen@...
                                        > >
                                        > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                                        > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                                        > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                                        I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                                        so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                                        see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                                        > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                                        > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                                        > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                                        I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                                        Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                                        me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                                        enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                                        De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                                        like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                                        people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                                        far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                                        and
                                        Dream.* ---djb.

                                        > Blessings,
                                        > Jim
                                      • Diane Baker
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 18 8:44 AM
                                          LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                                          > From: LeslieJ55@...
                                          >
                                          > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                                          > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                                          >
                                          > Leslie Maloney,
                                          > Hampton, VA

                                          Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                                          Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                                          Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                                          cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                                          geography? ---djb.