Re: Re: Drinking lurid predajuice while breaking Christo's yardstick over

  • Cai Cherie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006
      Ahhh, Mr Day, you have backed me into the dread corner I work so hard to avoid, and you did it gently too, and I thank you for that.

      Yes, there is much of Lewis's mindset that I find, not only uncongenial, but plain wrongheaded -- just as I am quite sure he would find many of my ideas pure bunk. Though I know there are some wonderful bits in "That Hidious Strength," I have never brought myself to reread it because of his appallingly ignorant portrayal of females -- and I don't -just- mean Jane. I read his apologetics for their wit, learning, spiritual self-knowledge(he is often at his finest when humorously, but lucidly, describing those of his sins that he recognized as such,) and wonderful, wonderful prose style. He could make the abstract concrete with the most vivid, simple and memorable of metaphors and examples. The deftness of his style amazes me.

      But until his aquaintence with Joy (person, not state) began to bear fruit, he was abit of deformed (from my point of view) on matters sexual. Should I credit this to his horoscope -- where almost all of his planets lined up in the male sign of Sagitterous, except for his two female planets, the Moon and Venus, which opposed this stellenium from mercurial, witty, and all too easily duplicious Gemini? This is an oppostion that resembles the very plots of LWW and MN -- no wonder the villian is female(thou when he has two main female characters it all gets more subtle and complex, with the female voice of reason in relation to, seperated from, but ultimetly identitfying with, the female soul -- one of many possible readings of TWHF.) Or should I point out that the coincidence of his mother dieing right before he is shipped off to a boarding school where the sadistic schoolmaster would later be declared criminally insane? (am I right in thinking that George Orwell also served time in
      that hellhole? Now, there's a man who knew how to write a torture scene.) Perhaps I should throw in about Mrs Jane Moore as well, with whom Lewis was, whatever else was going on, not as assertive with as would have been healthy (or normal) for him, and gee -- you think there is a coincidence that the woman who should "submit" is named Jane in THS?

      In short I find his views on females and their place in the world something to be forgiven, not extolled. He might have said the same about my views -- except that at least I am around males, and I like males, and understand males a whole lot more than he was around females or appeared to like or understand females. If we are ever lucky enough to meet in heaven, I hope that we will both have more wisdom that we had on earth, and, whichever of us is right ( and probobly it would be neither of us) well, big deal.

      As for hierarchy, I also believe in hierarchy but in a more female way. I like something like Ken Wilbur's model of a nesting hierarchy, one that substains nourishes and gently corrects instead of one that dictates, dominates and punishes. Perhaps I'm being sexist here, but it seems to me that males, because of their body, tend to think in terms of height, heigher and lower, and women, because of their body, more in terms of depth and fecundity. My daughter, next generation on, thinks I'm sexist for thinking this, as I may well be. Or not. Time will perhaps tell.

      It is Lewis's late imaginative works that blow me away, blow me past the most haunting of horizens into the numinous where my soul feels close to home. Which isn't to say that there aren't things that bother me with some of these writings. He is a mortal and therefore falliable human being. A writer is not a god, nor is he supposed to be. But there is something about the nature of Lewis's imaganitive and spiritual vision that works for me, and compared to which, the notion of polictical correctness fades.

      As for Lurie, I get the sense that any sort of suggestion of a God with any sort of authority troubles her so much that it blocks her ability to feel the pull of Narnia's imaginative vision, a vision which is more about feeling, sensing and intuiting than reason -- and as such is pretty immune to reasoned cavils. I just like reading people when they write about what they love.

      Cai

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006
        From: "Cai Cherie" <eternityfindsitself@...>

        > a boarding school where the sadistic schoolmaster would later be declared
        > criminally insane? (am I right in >thinking that George Orwell also served
        > time in
        > that hellhole? Now, there's a man who knew how to write a torture scene.)

        No, he didn't.
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006

          That is, I mean, he didn't go to "Belsen." He went to a larger Anglican
          prep school, which he found grim enough, and then to Eton. Talk about
          misfits.

          See Wikipedia.

          I don't argue with you that George knew how to write a torture scene.
          Brrrr.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Jonathan Michael Reiter
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
            Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I take it you are saying that Orwell didn't serve time there, not that He(Orwell) didn't know how to write a torture scene...
            Atomtetsuwan2002
            at2k2