Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien the Subversive

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 27, 2006
      Might have a mixup here. If the Rumanian story was about THE HOBBIT only -
      I disremember. THE HOBBIT may have made it into Russian unopposed, but the
      govt. quit publishing translations somewhere in the process on LORD OF THE
      RINGS.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2006
        Factual errors are becoming a great annoyance. They get repeated.
        Doesn't anyone read these things? Of course, when what is arguably
        America's best general magazine New Yorker got in $$ doodoo, guess who
        got laid off first?

        The fact checkers.

        Moral of the story: Bill Wyman is the only Rolling Stones historian to
        trust. He wrote it down as he lived it.

        Ooops. Slight topic shift.
        Mike

        John D. Rateliff wrote:

        >Had to give up on trying to read Alan Jacobs' THE NARNIAN a week or so ago,
        >since found myself getting too annoyed at the factual errors. I very much
        >enjoyed some of the things Jacobs had to say (he's written the best short
        >bit on Barfield's importance to Lewis I've ever come across) but couldn't
        >stick out all the misreadings and contradictions (he immediately followed
        >the Barfield passage by asserting that Harwood and Hamilton-Jenkins were
        >Inklings). Can someone who enjoyed the book post something nice about it,
        >reasons why you enjoyed it? Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, and a different
        >perspective might enable me to pick it back up and finish the thing.
        >
        > --John R.
      • Jonathan Michael Reiter
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28, 2006
          Atomtetsuwan2002 here. HUNH!?!?!?
          Atomtetsuwan2002
          at2k2

          > Yes, Thorin referring to Bilbo as 'Child of the Kindly West' had to go.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > Stolzi wrote:
          >
          >>Mark Hooker has written a good deal of fascinating scholarship about
          >>Tolkien
          >>fandom in Russia, translations in particular.
          >>
          >>The translations were varied and self-published (samizdat) because the
          >>state-sponsored publication house gave up on Tolkien in a hurry. The
          >>chief
          >>thing found subversive was the constant repetition of the theme,
          >>
          >>"Men of the West, good. Men of the East, bad."
          >>
          >>Diamond Proudbrook

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report