Re: Review: The Lore of the Land by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2005
      Sounds like an excellent book; thanks for the link. I'll have to try
      to pick this up, since I found Simpson's little book BRITISH DRAGONS
      enormously helpful; full of information despite its relative brevity.
      And of course I'll want to see what Westwood & Simpson have to say
      about Tolkien, the Denham Tracts, and the origin of the word "hobbit".
      --JDR

      On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:27 AM, Stolzi wrote:
      > " AS Byatt is enchanted by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline
      > Simpson's survey
      > of creatures in English folklore, The Lore of the Land "
      >
      > http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1690075,00.html
      >
      > Grindylows, Dun Cows, Dragons... neat review.

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
        " AS Byatt is enchanted by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson's survey
        of creatures in English folklore, The Lore of the Land "

        http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1690075,00.html

        Grindylows, Dun Cows, Dragons... neat review.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
          This is really neat-- thanks! Good resourse. Lezlie