Re: Subversion

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006
      Cai,

      *I'm* not the one who needs convincing-- maybe some of your fellow
      *Christians*... and, you *know who I am talking about. It is my
      profound opinion that it is only Christians who actually practice
      Christianity (such as yourself) who *can* confront the hateful
      behavior of those who call themselves "Christian" but don't seem to
      practice any religion except intolerance. (One could say that of other
      religions as well, including atheism -- so don't let *me* get started,
      either.)

      Now, who was it that said that religion isn't subversive? Golly, Let
      me talk to you about Mathilda Joselyn Gage, Matthew Fox, Starhawk, Joy
      Wolfwommon, Starr King.... In fact, where have you *Been* the last
      hundred years...?????

      I find Lewis and Tolkien to have subversive elements, and interesting
      ones. Just because neither author beats you over the head with it
      doesn't mean it's not *there*.

      Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Cai Cherie <eternityfindsitself@y...>
      wrote:

      > Boy, am I going...
      >
      > It could even be argued that the secular reason for Christianity's
      springing up when and where it did -- was that it was a very specific
      Jewish response to the atrocity of the first great totalitarian
      empire. And that this specific response touched a need in people all
      over the empire so that even in the face of persecution, Christianity
      grew till the empire had to resort to co-opting it.

      > To what extent the empire suceeded, or that Christianity then
      co-opted it, are matters for debate. But for me, Christianity is at
      its best when it transforms empire.

      > And aren't alot of the Inklings' writings about just that?
      >
      > Cai

    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006
        It's kind of like the subversity is in the eye of the beholder.