Re: [mythsoc] Re: Hooper-bashing -- titles

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 23, 2005
      Thanks for the interesting and enjoyable posts, Jonathan.

      On Jan 23, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Jonathan Day wrote:
      > As I understand Catholic (Roman, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.) theology, a
      > priest who rejoins the laity is still, technically, regarded as a
      > priest;
      > he's just a priest inhibited, barred from the performance of his
      > office.
      > Priesthood isn't a social convention (like a doctor's degree) but a
      > change
      > of fundamental (metaphysical) state, rather as the bread and wine are
      > changed at the Eucharist.

      This is also my understanding.

      > The Romans don't regard Anglican ordinations as valid, so from their
      > perspective Hooper was never made a priest.

      For a very funny take on this, see John Bellair's little book SAINT
      FIDGETA & OTHER PARODIES ("The Question Box", page 43).

      > If he has become a Roman
      > Catholic and still calls himself "Father", that's odd, because his new
      > communion doesn't recognise the validity of his priesthood. Does
      > he really
      > call himself "Fr."?

      So far as I know, no. What I said was that I still call him Fr.
      Hooper. Partly out of respect, partly out of habit, and partly
      because that's how I was introduced to him.

      > On 1/23/06, Lezlie <lezlie1@...> wrote:
      >> Hooper seems to have
      >> had to hubris to claim what he cannot.

      No, that's not the case, as you'll see if you read the thread to
      which you're replying. I'm the one who referred to him as "Fr.
      Hooper", not Hooper himself.

      Jonathan Day also wrote:
      > The squabble around Hooper seems to have gone on for a long time.
      > Wendell
      > writes that it will take decades to straighten out. I'm curious to
      > know
      > what evidence we think will finally lay it to rest.

      I don't think it'll ever stop. It's already survived the person
      who invented most of these charges, and the people repeating them now
      have a very flexible standard for evidence. Mark Twain said something
      about truth being perishable and slander immortal, and this seems a
      pretty good example of his dictum.

      --JDR

    • Lezlie
      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 28, 2006