*** Authors battle over 'muggles'

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2000
      Forwarded without further comment, as I believe we noticed this
      before...

      LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - What a struggle over "muggles." As it turns

      out, a Lawrence woman may have been the first to use the name
      "muggles" in her children's book - not the author of the Harry
      Potter
      series or the American writer who is suing the Potter author.
      Carol
      Kendall, 82, wrote "The Gammage Cup," which includes a candy
      maker
      named Muggles, in 1959. In three books by Scotland's J.K. Rowling

      about the young orphaned wizard Harry Potter, "muggles" is the
      word
      wizards use for humans. Another writer, Nancy K. Stouffer, argued
      in
      a lawsuit in March that ideas for the Potter series were lifted
      from
      her 1984 book "The Legend of Rah and Muggles." In her book,
      muggles
      are little people who care for two orphaned boys. Scholastic,
      Rowling
      and Time Warner filed their own suit in November, asking a judge
      rule that the Potter books do not violate Stouffer's trademark
      and
      copyright.
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2000
        On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

        > Forwarded without further comment, as I believe we noticed this
        > before...
        >
        > LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - What a struggle over "muggles." As it turns
        > out, a Lawrence woman may have been the first to use the name
        > "muggles" in her children's book - not the author of the Harry Potter
        > series or the American writer who is suing the Potter author. Carol
        > Kendall, 82, wrote "The Gammage Cup," which includes a candy maker
        > named Muggles, in 1959.

        About time the media noticed this.

        David Bratman
        - not responsible for the following overlooked item -