A surprising quote from the "misogynist" Lewis

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2006
      Just noticed this, to my surprise, while looking for something else.

      "I have finished PRECIOUS BANE" [Mary Webb, 1924] "and think I have enjoyed
      it more than any novel since the Bronte's. Why do women write such good
      novels. Men's novels, except Scott, seem to me on the same level as womens'
      [sic] poetry." Letter to Arthur Greeves, June 22, 1930

      Diamond Proudbrook