Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2000
      No, Northern Lights was the original (British) title, subsequently changed to The Golden Compass by the American editor.

      Why not follow it up with the second novel in the series, The Subtle Knife. As far as other similar literature, try Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence (Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; The Green Witch; The Grey King; The Silver Tree). I think they could also read Stephen Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy (The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, The Endless Knott). George MacDonald's fairy stories are excellent (and you can get them all now in a single book from Oxford UP [The Fairy Tales of George MacDonald]), as are the Curdie books (The Princess and Curdie and The Princess and the
      Goblins, which are also available in a single volume from Oxford's World Classic's imprint).

      Yours,

      Ted

      Steve Savile wrote:

      > With all of the fuss over JK Rowling and those Potter books, I've just begun reading Northern Lights (I believe it was originally released as The Golden Compass) and have to say it's one of the best children's books I've read in a long time... Now, I am reading this for a reason, I think I've mentioned before I teach English to children fresh out of war torn areas such as Bosnia, Rwanda etc, and I'm looking for great 'young' readers books such as Pullman, to open their eyes to the possibilities out there. I'm hoping one or two of you might have ideas I can follow up for great 'easy' readers...
      >
      > Bests
      > Steve

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams and Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • gfunk@junction.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
        Steve Savile asks for good reading for new readers. I suggest the four
        "Circle of Magic" books, namely Sandry's Book, Tris's Book, Daja's Book,
        Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce

        Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333