Re: "The beauty of the female" quote in THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH

  • menelvagor1939
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 10, 2006
      Dear Diamond,

      Thanks for your response. No, I don't have the fragment in German. I
      merely came across a reference to this fragment in alt.books.cs-lewis
      about a year ago.

      I suppose Novalis is a possibility, given that Lewis recommends
      HEINRICH von OFTERDINGEN in his list of recommended romances in OF
      OTHER WORLDS. My German would not be up to reading the original, but I
      find from Amazon.com that there is a translation available.

      I somehow doubt that, in all the raptures about the Blue Flower, one
      would find this particular quote. It seems to me that the main thought
      is too radical to have been expresed by anyone up to the twentieth
      century. If it were not for that, the quotation could have been
      written by a Renaissance neoPlatonist ( but probably wasn't). Mind
      you, the quotation precedes Lewis's description of Jane's being
      attracted to the divinely tall and slim Camilla, an attraction to a
      female type of beauty not her own. Somehow, one does not expect Lewis
      to be sympathetic to this type of attraction, but evidently he is.
      Maybe he DID write the "quotation"!

      Menelvagor

      In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

      > If you have the fragment in German, have you googled on it? I
      think of
      > people like De Rougemont - though that wd be in French - or Novalis (?)
      >
      > Walter Hooper is still alive, and you should be able to find out how
      to get
      > in touch with him, I wd think.
      >
      > Diamond Proudbrook

    • Lezlie