Re: [mythsoc] SF&F Research Database

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2006
      At 06:11 PM 1/5/2006, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
      >I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
      >Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
      >what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
      >for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
      >access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
      >Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
      >pretty complete?

      Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so got other
      Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G. Wells scholar. The
      database misses some of my publications, but includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien
      Companion and Guide_ as by "John R. Hammond and Christina Scull", published
      in 2003 -- a work co-written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes
      not in the order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
      its writing completed). So the database has at least these "ghosts", pulled
      perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such as _Locus_ which has prematurely
      announced our publication several times now.

      Christina had me look up "Scull", which similarly didn't catch everything.
      (That search also pulled up anything for the _X-Files_ dealing with Scully.)

      And I tried "Tolkien" using "search all fields", just to see how many
      entries would come up (1,252). On the first screen are a number of titles
      with no authors' names attached, most of them presumably anonymous pieces
      (news items and reviews), but one title leaped out at me: "Setting the
      Rocket Off in Story: The Kalevala as the Genn [sic, for Germ] of Tolkien's
      Legendarium". This is an essay by Richard C. West in one of the books of
      Tolkien essays edited by Jane Chance. Without his name attached, it gets
      missed when one searches for "West, Richard" (thus; a search by "Richard
      West", in that order, brings up 0 records). Further, under "West, Richard"
      I noticed the absence of Richard's important essay "The Interlace Structure
      of _The Lord of the Rings_", published in _A Tolkien Compass_, so I
      searched for "Lobdell" (the editor): that pulled up two references to the
      book, as well as a citation to Richard's essay, but indexed as by "West,
      R.C." (though in the book his name is spelled out).

      Still, just a quick browse revealed some items I didn't know about, and as
      David says, it's free, so it's a site worth bookmarking, as long as one
      understands its limitations and quirks.

      Wayne

    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <
        > Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so
        > got other Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G.
        > Wells scholar. The database misses some of my publications, but
        > includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_ as by "John R.
        > Hammond and Christina Scull", published in 2003 -- a work co-
        > written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes not in the
        > order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
        > its writing completed). So the database has at least
        > these "ghosts", pulled perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such
        > as _Locus_ which has prematurely announced our publication several
        > times now.

        I'm in there for 2 of 3 books, so it can't be all bad <g>.

        I'm pretty sure PARMA ENDORION was not mentioned in Locus (but I
        haven't searched their site meticulously), so there must be a
        variety of resources that he has drawn upon for the listings.

        PARMA has been mentioned in a few "fan media" places but I don't
        recall any mainstream media mentions (not including radio and
        television interviews). With more than 1,000,000 downloads, PARMA's
        chief distinction may be that it flies under the media radar and
        still draws a lot of interest.

        --
        Michael Martinez
        Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
          In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
          this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
          Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
          local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
          to 8:00-ish.

          Wayne Hammond

        • Sara Ciborski
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
            I'm just a bit too far away (southern NH) to come to Williamstown but I would like to say to you and all the list that I am right now enjoying the Companion immensely. My children gave it to me for Christmas, just in time to accompany my biennial reading of The Lord of the Rings. It's an extraordinay labor of love with a wonderful mix of scholarly exegesis and average reader commentary. Thank you very much!
            Sara Ciborski

            In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
            this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
            Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
            local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
            to 8:00-ish.

            Wayne Hammond

            Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report