Re: K.V. Johansen

  • Bianca Iano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
      David Bratman wrote:

      > Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
      > found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
      > book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
      > the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
      > other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
      > Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

      I don't know Eddings' books, but judging by Johansen's handy plot summary
      ("the willful princess Ce'Nedra") I take your point.

      I definitely choose by author for the children. On the other hand, one
      nephew loved the LotR but thought the Silmarillion (the original 1 vol.
      edition) was even better. That seems like some kind of structural
      (or maybe content?) preference, though I could never quite figure it out.
      Their reactions to books fascinate (and sometimes puzzle) me, expecially as
      things have changed. I don't thing a preference for the Silmarillion would
      have been likely twenty years ago, though perhaps Tolkien would have been
      pleased.

      Thanks to Lezlie for the book recommendations, as I'm always looking around
      for children's books (all ages).

      B. Davis