RE: [mythsoc] SF&F Research Database

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
      I'm also a librarian and reviewed the SFBRI database a while back. It's nice for a free alternative to MLA, but as Janet noted, its indexing is hit and miss. For the book Janet edited on the films, they have a number of subjects listed: TOLKIEN, J. R. R.; MOTION PICTURES; THE LORD OF THE RINGS (MOTION PICTURE); JACKSON, PETER. Some other entries on Tolkien, however, merely have TOLKIEN, J. R. R. as the subject.

      Looking at the "How to Search" screens can help, though it is relatively easy to use. It does index a range of fanzines and other publications that are not really indexed anywhere else, so it's a nice site to bookmark.

      David Oberhelman

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
        From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

        > I'm also a librarian and reviewed the SFBRI database a while back.

        > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
        > Associate Professor
        > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        > Oklahoma State University Library
        > Stillwater, OK 74078

        Hi, David. Since you're in Oklahoma, I hope we'll see you at the next
        Mythcon!

        Berni
      • Joe R. Christopher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
          I'm sorry to give a rather egocentric response about Hal Hall's SF&F
          Research Database, but I checked my listing (under "Christopher, Joe R."
          and "Christopher, J. R.") and found 106 items, which is good but not quite
          complete (my writings for the _Canadian C. S. Lewis Journal_ and for
          _Yandro_, for example, are not there). More specifically, about the index
          to _Mythlore_, I found under my names the following listings of "[An]
          Inklings Bibliography" (some listings have the _An_; others don't): 1-50
          (with a second listing of 50 which the editor has identified as really 51,
          followed by another 51), 52, 54-55, 57, and 57 again (two columns actually
          exist numbered 57). Some of these are collaborations with Wayne Hammond,
          who was also listed; but my point is about the gaps 53, 56. I have briefly
          checked my bibliography cards, and 53 according to my cards does not exist
          (Glen GoodKnight published a single sheet _Mythlore_ as no. 77, which would
          have carried it if it existed); and 56 appeared in _Mythlore_ 81. I don't
          have time to do a thorough check, but Hall seems to be missing only one
          column. So as a basic listing of titles, not content, his work seems nearly
          complete.

          --Joe
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
            Well, it's got material from Mythlore that the frickin' MLA index missed.
            The database entries seem to be pretty accurate. And it carefully lists
            and distinguishes between whole numbers and volume numbers of Mythlore
            issues. This is all good.

            Its coverage of early Mythlores appears to be incomplete, however (I
            haven't checked this securely), its choice of publications to index is
            sometimes odd, and the subject indexing is horrifically inadequate.

            Since it's free, you could do worse. Good luck _finding_ some of its more
            obscure journals, though.

            - David Bratman

            At 03:11 PM 1/5/2006 -0800, you wrote:
            >I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
            >Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
            >what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
            >for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
            >access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
            >Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
            >pretty complete?
            >
            >Our lit librarian is considering adding it to our official list of
            >databases, so I'm also doing a bit of checking for her. Please send
            >directly to edith.crowe@... and I can summarize for mythsoc-l.
            >
            >Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
            >Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
            >San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)
            >
            >Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2006
              At 06:11 PM 1/5/2006, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
              >I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
              >Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
              >what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
              >for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
              >access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
              >Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
              >pretty complete?

              Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so got other
              Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G. Wells scholar. The
              database misses some of my publications, but includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien
              Companion and Guide_ as by "John R. Hammond and Christina Scull", published
              in 2003 -- a work co-written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes
              not in the order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
              its writing completed). So the database has at least these "ghosts", pulled
              perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such as _Locus_ which has prematurely
              announced our publication several times now.

              Christina had me look up "Scull", which similarly didn't catch everything.
              (That search also pulled up anything for the _X-Files_ dealing with Scully.)

              And I tried "Tolkien" using "search all fields", just to see how many
              entries would come up (1,252). On the first screen are a number of titles
              with no authors' names attached, most of them presumably anonymous pieces
              (news items and reviews), but one title leaped out at me: "Setting the
              Rocket Off in Story: The Kalevala as the Genn [sic, for Germ] of Tolkien's
              Legendarium". This is an essay by Richard C. West in one of the books of
              Tolkien essays edited by Jane Chance. Without his name attached, it gets
              missed when one searches for "West, Richard" (thus; a search by "Richard
              West", in that order, brings up 0 records). Further, under "West, Richard"
              I noticed the absence of Richard's important essay "The Interlace Structure
              of _The Lord of the Rings_", published in _A Tolkien Compass_, so I
              searched for "Lobdell" (the editor): that pulled up two references to the
              book, as well as a citation to Richard's essay, but indexed as by "West,
              R.C." (though in the book his name is spelled out).

              Still, just a quick browse revealed some items I didn't know about, and as
              David says, it's free, so it's a site worth bookmarking, as long as one
              understands its limitations and quirks.

              Wayne

            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <
                > Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so
                > got other Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G.
                > Wells scholar. The database misses some of my publications, but
                > includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_ as by "John R.
                > Hammond and Christina Scull", published in 2003 -- a work co-
                > written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes not in the
                > order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
                > its writing completed). So the database has at least
                > these "ghosts", pulled perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such
                > as _Locus_ which has prematurely announced our publication several
                > times now.

                I'm in there for 2 of 3 books, so it can't be all bad <g>.

                I'm pretty sure PARMA ENDORION was not mentioned in Locus (but I
                haven't searched their site meticulously), so there must be a
                variety of resources that he has drawn upon for the listings.

                PARMA has been mentioned in a few "fan media" places but I don't
                recall any mainstream media mentions (not including radio and
                television interviews). With more than 1,000,000 downloads, PARMA's
                chief distinction may be that it flies under the media radar and
                still draws a lot of interest.

                --
                Michael Martinez
                Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                  In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
                  this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
                  Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
                  local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
                  to 8:00-ish.

                  Wayne Hammond

                • Sara Ciborski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                    I'm just a bit too far away (southern NH) to come to Williamstown but I would like to say to you and all the list that I am right now enjoying the Companion immensely. My children gave it to me for Christmas, just in time to accompany my biennial reading of The Lord of the Rings. It's an extraordinay labor of love with a wonderful mix of scholarly exegesis and average reader commentary. Thank you very much!
                    Sara Ciborski

                    In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
                    this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
                    Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
                    local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
                    to 8:00-ish.

                    Wayne Hammond

                    Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report