SF&F Research Database

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
      I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
      Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
      what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
      for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
      access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
      Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
      pretty complete?

      Our lit librarian is considering adding it to our official list of
      databases, so I'm also doing a bit of checking for her. Please send
      directly to edith.crowe@... and I can summarize for mythsoc-l.

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
        I'll take a closer look at it, but a project MythPress is considering
        right now is an index to Mythlore. I'm seeing if I can get grant
        funding for a grad student to help out. I would like to do the sort of
        detailed indexing that would be helpful to scholars in the field -- not
        just "Aragorn" as a subject heading, but "Aragorn -- Coronation --
        Jackson movies", for example.

        Janet Brennan Croft
[...]

        Links
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
          I'm also a librarian and reviewed the SFBRI database a while back. It's nice for a free alternative to MLA, but as Janet noted, its indexing is hit and miss. For the book Janet edited on the films, they have a number of subjects listed: TOLKIEN, J. R. R.; MOTION PICTURES; THE LORD OF THE RINGS (MOTION PICTURE); JACKSON, PETER. Some other entries on Tolkien, however, merely have TOLKIEN, J. R. R. as the subject.

          Looking at the "How to Search" screens can help, though it is relatively easy to use. It does index a range of fanzines and other publications that are not really indexed anywhere else, so it's a nice site to bookmark.

          David Oberhelman

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
            From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

            > I'm also a librarian and reviewed the SFBRI database a while back.

            > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
            > Associate Professor
            > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
            > Oklahoma State University Library
            > Stillwater, OK 74078

            Hi, David. Since you're in Oklahoma, I hope we'll see you at the next
            Mythcon!

            Berni
          • Joe R. Christopher
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
              I'm sorry to give a rather egocentric response about Hal Hall's SF&F
              Research Database, but I checked my listing (under "Christopher, Joe R."
              and "Christopher, J. R.") and found 106 items, which is good but not quite
              complete (my writings for the _Canadian C. S. Lewis Journal_ and for
              _Yandro_, for example, are not there). More specifically, about the index
              to _Mythlore_, I found under my names the following listings of "[An]
              Inklings Bibliography" (some listings have the _An_; others don't): 1-50
              (with a second listing of 50 which the editor has identified as really 51,
              followed by another 51), 52, 54-55, 57, and 57 again (two columns actually
              exist numbered 57). Some of these are collaborations with Wayne Hammond,
              who was also listed; but my point is about the gaps 53, 56. I have briefly
              checked my bibliography cards, and 53 according to my cards does not exist
              (Glen GoodKnight published a single sheet _Mythlore_ as no. 77, which would
              have carried it if it existed); and 56 appeared in _Mythlore_ 81. I don't
              have time to do a thorough check, but Hall seems to be missing only one
              column. So as a basic listing of titles, not content, his work seems nearly
              complete.

              --Joe
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                Well, it's got material from Mythlore that the frickin' MLA index missed.
                The database entries seem to be pretty accurate. And it carefully lists
                and distinguishes between whole numbers and volume numbers of Mythlore
                issues. This is all good.

                Its coverage of early Mythlores appears to be incomplete, however (I
                haven't checked this securely), its choice of publications to index is
                sometimes odd, and the subject indexing is horrifically inadequate.

                Since it's free, you could do worse. Good luck _finding_ some of its more
                obscure journals, though.

                - David Bratman

                At 03:11 PM 1/5/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                >I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
                >Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
                >what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
                >for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
                >access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
                >Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
                >pretty complete?
                >
                >Our lit librarian is considering adding it to our official list of
                >databases, so I'm also doing a bit of checking for her. Please send
                >directly to edith.crowe@... and I can summarize for mythsoc-l.
                >
                >Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
                >Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
                >San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)
                >
                >Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2006
                  At 06:11 PM 1/5/2006, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
                  >I'm wondering how many of you have used Hal W. Hall's "Science Fiction &
                  >Fantasy Research Database" (http://library.tamu.edu/cushing/sffrd/) and
                  >what you think of it. In the absence of any freely available online index
                  >for Mythlore, this might be a good thing to refer people to who don't have
                  >access to MLA International Bibliography or other far from free sources.
                  >Does the indexing appear to be accurate and is the coverage of Mythlore
                  >pretty complete?

                  Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so got other
                  Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G. Wells scholar. The
                  database misses some of my publications, but includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien
                  Companion and Guide_ as by "John R. Hammond and Christina Scull", published
                  in 2003 -- a work co-written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes
                  not in the order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
                  its writing completed). So the database has at least these "ghosts", pulled
                  perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such as _Locus_ which has prematurely
                  announced our publication several times now.

                  Christina had me look up "Scull", which similarly didn't catch everything.
                  (That search also pulled up anything for the _X-Files_ dealing with Scully.)

                  And I tried "Tolkien" using "search all fields", just to see how many
                  entries would come up (1,252). On the first screen are a number of titles
                  with no authors' names attached, most of them presumably anonymous pieces
                  (news items and reviews), but one title leaped out at me: "Setting the
                  Rocket Off in Story: The Kalevala as the Genn [sic, for Germ] of Tolkien's
                  Legendarium". This is an essay by Richard C. West in one of the books of
                  Tolkien essays edited by Jane Chance. Without his name attached, it gets
                  missed when one searches for "West, Richard" (thus; a search by "Richard
                  West", in that order, brings up 0 records). Further, under "West, Richard"
                  I noticed the absence of Richard's important essay "The Interlace Structure
                  of _The Lord of the Rings_", published in _A Tolkien Compass_, so I
                  searched for "Lobdell" (the editor): that pulled up two references to the
                  book, as well as a citation to Richard's essay, but indexed as by "West,
                  R.C." (though in the book his name is spelled out).

                  Still, just a quick browse revealed some items I didn't know about, and as
                  David says, it's free, so it's a site worth bookmarking, as long as one
                  understands its limitations and quirks.

                  Wayne

                • Michael Martinez
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <
                    > Like Joe, I called up my own name, or rather just my surname so
                    > got other Hammonds in the mix, notably J.R. Hammond, the H.G.
                    > Wells scholar. The database misses some of my publications, but
                    > includes _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_ as by "John R.
                    > Hammond and Christina Scull", published in 2003 -- a work co-
                    > written by Wayne G. not John R., with its two volumes not in the
                    > order given, and of course not yet published at all (nor even
                    > its writing completed). So the database has at least
                    > these "ghosts", pulled perhaps out of an SF/Fantasy magazine such
                    > as _Locus_ which has prematurely announced our publication several
                    > times now.

                    I'm in there for 2 of 3 books, so it can't be all bad <g>.

                    I'm pretty sure PARMA ENDORION was not mentioned in Locus (but I
                    haven't searched their site meticulously), so there must be a
                    variety of resources that he has drawn upon for the listings.

                    PARMA has been mentioned in a few "fan media" places but I don't
                    recall any mainstream media mentions (not including radio and
                    television interviews). With more than 1,000,000 downloads, PARMA's
                    chief distinction may be that it flies under the media radar and
                    still draws a lot of interest.

                    --
                    Michael Martinez
                    Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                      In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
                      this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
                      Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
                      local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
                      to 8:00-ish.

                      Wayne Hammond

                    • Sara Ciborski
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                        I'm just a bit too far away (southern NH) to come to Williamstown but I would like to say to you and all the list that I am right now enjoying the Companion immensely. My children gave it to me for Christmas, just in time to accompany my biennial reading of The Lord of the Rings. It's an extraordinay labor of love with a wonderful mix of scholarly exegesis and average reader commentary. Thank you very much!
                        Sara Ciborski

                        In case anyone on this list will be in or around north-west Massachusetts
                        this Thursday evening, Christina and I will be talking about our work on
                        Tolkien, especially _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, at our
                        local bookshop, Water Street Books, 26 Water Street in Williamstown, 6:30
                        to 8:00-ish.

                        Wayne Hammond

                        Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report