Re: Madeleine L'Engle

  • mlcvamp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      <Even better, perhaps, the fantasy stories of Madeleine l'Engle,
      starting
      with A WRINKLE IN TIME (has Nellie read this?). The series has a great
      female protagonist and her family, plus several not-quite-human
      characters,
      and with today's CGI, should be more than feasible to produce. I've
      seen
      one of them done as a very entertaining stage adaptation.>

      One of my favorite authors. A TV movie of A WRINKLE IN TIME was
      broadcast not too long ago -- this past year, I think. Did anyone else
      see it? It wasn't so good as I'd hoped, but I thought it was reasonably
      OK.

      Her novel A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT was also made into a TV movie a few
      years ago.

      Margaret Carter
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_us/obit_l_engle

        Madeleine L'Engle has passed away.

        Janet Brennan Croft

      • byrdandcharley
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
          I just read that on the news. May she rest in Peace.

          Byrd
        • Kimberly Massey
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
            A friend introduced me to her in college. I've been deeply moved by some things she wrote. I especially enjoyed A LIVE COAL IN THE SEA and THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SUN.
            May she rest in peace, indeed.

            "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
            http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_us/obit_l_engle

            Madeleine L'Engle has passed away.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
            Are sweeter...
            - John Keats, "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
              http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_89811_ENG_HTM.htm
              From the Episcopal Church News Service (she was Episcopalian).

              *sigh*

              -- Lynn --

              > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_us/obit_l_engle
              >

              > Madeleine L'Engle has passed away.
              >

              > Janet Brennan Croft

            • britomart3
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
                Thank you for letting us know. I was just thinking of her this
                weekend; as I rocked my daughter, I was quoting some of Aunt
                Beast's lines from Wrinkle to her, calling her "little blind as a
                bat," just in case she inherits my bad vision. I am so deeply
                saddened; her books were a great solace to me as I was an awkward,
                plain "smart girl" with glasses, struggling through adolescence,
                when I first traveled with Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin. I know
                we will miss her here, but that she is right at home with Progo,
                Gaudior, and their kin, now. After all, I think she already knew all
                the words to the songs they sing.

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Massey