Re: [mythsoc] If you think I hate ...

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Interesting. I don't understand his or her remark about there not
      being any Tolkien adaptations, unless by this he or she means that no
      one has messed with Tolkien's text, as they have with Lewis's LWW.
      Just a few days ago I picked up Jacobs' THE NARNIAN, and found on the
      bookstore's display no less than four re-writings of Lewis's book:
      THE QUEST FOR ASLAN by Jasmine Jones (a 64-page retelling of the
      entire story), as well as EDMUND & THE WHITE WITCH, TEA WITH MR.
      TUMNUS, and WELCOME TO NARNIA, which retold episodes in simple
      (dumbed down) language. All three had lots of pictures. Thanks to the
      Tolkien Estate, we've been spared anything like that re. Tolkien's
      books.

      As for his or her deciding not to see films the v. thought of which
      made him or her "irrationally angry", that seems like a good call. I
      have to wonder, though, about the whole secondary separation thing;
      seems like a huge investment of mental energy to find out everyone
      involved in all three films and then keeping track of their role in
      subsequent films so he or she can boycott them all. What a waste of
      time and energy.

      --JDR

      just finished: PRE-RAPHAELITE WOMEN (Marsh).
      just started: THE NARNIAN (Jacobs), which I hope is better than its
      title.