Re: [mythsoc] public school face

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      I've argued with Mr Derbyshire and tried to point him to the evidence in
      Lewis himself of that writer's aversion to the public school ethos and all
      its works, but he has a perhaps irrational distaste which he doesn't care to
      shake.

      On this subject, before leaving it, we may quote amusingly from Ch VIII of
      SURPRISED BY JOY:

      "It was, of course, to turn us into public-school boys that my father had
      originally sent us to Wyvern [actually, Malvern College - DP]; the finished
      product appalled him."

      This particularly in reference to Warnie, who had taken to the treatment as
      Jack never did.

      Diamond Proudbrook