Re: [mythsoc] Interesting Narnia review, I thought

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      From: <WendellWag@...>

      > You would have to ask the
      > author of the review (John Derbyshire) what he meant and there's no way
      > to do that
      > except by writing to _The National Review_.

      Not quite true. I have the Derb's e-mail address, and he does answer things
      he gets from readers. Today he had a follow-up quote at National Review
      Online about the "Americanization" thing, and I quote it below, with part of
      a follow-up email I sent him on the topic.

      " AMERICAN KIDS' FANTASY STORIES [John Derbyshire]
      "A reader recommends Edward Eager's books and wonders why movie producers
      have never taken them up. "
      ---------------------------

      Even better, perhaps, the fantasy stories of Madeleine l'Engle, starting
      with A WRINKLE IN TIME (has Nellie read this?). The series has a great
      female protagonist and her family, plus several not-quite-human characters,
      and with today's CGI, should be more than feasible to produce. I've seen
      one of them done as a very entertaining stage adaptation.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        Wondering here what a "progressive school face" would be, as seen on Eustace
        and Jill, and how to cast it.

        I've added to Mr Derbyshire a recommendation of SUMMERLAND, by Michael
        Chabon, a quintessentially American fantasy.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          I've argued with Mr Derbyshire and tried to point him to the evidence in
          Lewis himself of that writer's aversion to the public school ethos and all
          its works, but he has a perhaps irrational distaste which he doesn't care to
          shake.

          On this subject, before leaving it, we may quote amusingly from Ch VIII of
          SURPRISED BY JOY:

          "It was, of course, to turn us into public-school boys that my father had
          originally sent us to Wyvern [actually, Malvern College - DP]; the finished
          product appalled him."

          This particularly in reference to Warnie, who had taken to the treatment as
          Jack never did.

          Diamond Proudbrook