Re: [mythsoc] public school face

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      I would presume that a "public school face" is not a particular facial
      expression, but a type of well-bred, self-satisfied appearance that seems
      to signal "I'm secure in the knowledge of my own superiority" to the kind
      of people who see class warfare issues in innocent works of literature.

      DB
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        From: <WendellWag@...>

        > You would have to ask the
        > author of the review (John Derbyshire) what he meant and there's no way
        > to do that
        > except by writing to _The National Review_.

        Not quite true. I have the Derb's e-mail address, and he does answer things
        he gets from readers. Today he had a follow-up quote at National Review
        Online about the "Americanization" thing, and I quote it below, with part of
        a follow-up email I sent him on the topic.

        " AMERICAN KIDS' FANTASY STORIES [John Derbyshire]
        "A reader recommends Edward Eager's books and wonders why movie producers
        have never taken them up. "
        ---------------------------

        Even better, perhaps, the fantasy stories of Madeleine l'Engle, starting
        with A WRINKLE IN TIME (has Nellie read this?). The series has a great
        female protagonist and her family, plus several not-quite-human characters,
        and with today's CGI, should be more than feasible to produce. I've seen
        one of them done as a very entertaining stage adaptation.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          Wondering here what a "progressive school face" would be, as seen on Eustace
          and Jill, and how to cast it.

          I've added to Mr Derbyshire a recommendation of SUMMERLAND, by Michael
          Chabon, a quintessentially American fantasy.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            I've argued with Mr Derbyshire and tried to point him to the evidence in
            Lewis himself of that writer's aversion to the public school ethos and all
            its works, but he has a perhaps irrational distaste which he doesn't care to
            shake.

            On this subject, before leaving it, we may quote amusingly from Ch VIII of
            SURPRISED BY JOY:

            "It was, of course, to turn us into public-school boys that my father had
            originally sent us to Wyvern [actually, Malvern College - DP]; the finished
            product appalled him."

            This particularly in reference to Warnie, who had taken to the treatment as
            Jack never did.

            Diamond Proudbrook