Public school face

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006

      > In a message dated 1/3/2006 10:00:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > jmrmpd@... writes:
      >
      > What do you mean by public school face? Is that a facial expression of
      > disgust, or something? What do you mean?
      >

      > She was giving all of a review of the movie that she had read in _The
      > National Review_. She wasn't saying that herself. You would have to ask
      > the
      > author of the review (John Derbyshire) what he meant and there's no way
      > to do that
      > except by writing to _The National Review_.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      If I were to guess, I would say it meant "rich kid face." Or more narrowly,
      "spoiled rich kid face." It would probably help to know that public schools
      in England are the equivalent of private schools in America.

      Although, of course, I cannot speak for the author of the review, that's how
      I would imagine a "public school face" to be.

      And it kind of goes right along with the "nieauw" comment for how the
      children say words like "No." Even though I'm not around English kids (or
      even English adults) that often, I know exactly what he means by that.
      Although I don't fnd it annoying, more like fascinating.

      -kt