Re: [mythsoc] Interesting Narnia review, I thought

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      In a message dated 1/3/2006 10:00:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jmrmpd@... writes:

      What do you mean by public school face? Is that a facial expression of
      disgust, or something? What do you mean?

      She was giving all of a review of the movie that she had read in _The
      National Review_. She wasn't saying that herself. You would have to ask the
      author of the review (John Derbyshire) what he meant and there's no way to do that
      except by writing to _The National Review_.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        I would presume that a "public school face" is not a particular facial
        expression, but a type of well-bred, self-satisfied appearance that seems
        to signal "I'm secure in the knowledge of my own superiority" to the kind
        of people who see class warfare issues in innocent works of literature.

        DB
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            Wondering here what a "progressive school face" would be, as seen on Eustace
            and Jill, and how to cast it.

            I've added to Mr Derbyshire a recommendation of SUMMERLAND, by Michael
            Chabon, a quintessentially American fantasy.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              I've argued with Mr Derbyshire and tried to point him to the evidence in
              Lewis himself of that writer's aversion to the public school ethos and all
              its works, but he has a perhaps irrational distaste which he doesn't care to
              shake.

              On this subject, before leaving it, we may quote amusingly from Ch VIII of
              SURPRISED BY JOY:

              "It was, of course, to turn us into public-school boys that my father had
              originally sent us to Wyvern [actually, Malvern College - DP]; the finished
              product appalled him."

              This particularly in reference to Warnie, who had taken to the treatment as
              Jack never did.

              Diamond Proudbrook