"The beauty of the female" quote in THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH

  • menelvagor1939
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      Happy new year!

      As a new member, I would like to know if anyone in this group has been
      able to identify "the beauty of the female" quote in THS. Over a year
      ago I posted this query to various Lewis and Inklings news groups,
      but no one was able to identify it. ( However, one person had found a
      group where part of the quote was given in German without
      attribution.) Searches on the Internet and in dictionaries of
      quotations also turned up nothing. To my mind, the quote might have
      been written by Charles Williams, but as far as I know, he didn't. I
      begin to think, as some people do, that Lewis may have written it
      himself. What do you think?

      I give my original posting below:

      Hi everybody!

      Does any one happen to know the source of an unattributed quote about
      "the beauty of the female" from THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH? I spent all day
      yesterday doing an Internet search in likely sources such as George
      MacDonald, but ended up little wiser than when I started. I did find
      that the question had been raised several times in the newsgroup <alt.
      books.c.s-lewis>, but that no one save one person who had found part
      of the quote in GERMAN knew anything about it. Here is the quote:

      The beauty of the female is the root of joy to the female as well as
      to the male, and it is no accident that the goddess of Love is older
      and stronger than the god. To desire the desiring of her own beauty is
      the vanity of Lilith, but to desire the enjoying of her own beauty is
      the obedience of Eve, and to both is in the lover that the beloved
      tastes her own delightfulness. As obedience is the stairway of
      pleasure, so humility is the ---

      ( -- C. S. Lewis, THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH, MacMillan, NY, 1968, pp. 62-3)

      The quote is in the context of Jane's being conducted by Camilla to an
      interview with Miss Ironwood, and later with the Director. As Jane
      follows Camilla through the extensive gardens at St. Anne's, she is
      reminded of various literary gardens all the way back to the original
      walled Paradise. At that point her memory calls up the beginning of
      the above quote and a few minutes later in Miss Ironwood's rooom, Jane
      reads the whole quote in an open book on the table. This obviously is
      an instance of Jane's foreknowing, but it also a remembering of a
      deeper wisdom about human relationships. The last part of the quote
      about obedience being the stairway of pleasure obviously foreshadows
      the Director's statement that obedience is an erotic necessity and
      his telling Jane that his Masters would say that she had not failed in
      obedience through lack of love, but had lost love because she had
      never attempted obedience. (THS, p. 147)

      It seems to me that if Lewis is genuinely quoting, then the source
      must be in a modern romantic writer writing in something like the
      mode of the medieval romances.

      Can anyone help me with this?

      Menelvagor
    • Lezlie