Re: K.V. Johansen

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "B. Davis" <bi233@n...> wrote:
      > Thanks to David Bratman for his very interesting review in
      Mythprint of
      > K.V. Johansen's "Quests and Kingdoms". I bought the book intending
      it as
      > a reference guide to the post-80's fantasy my nephews read, but
      found it a
      > pleasurable read. I was particularly happy that she highlights
      books like
      > Masefield's "Box of Delights" which seem to have dropped out of sight,
      > despite the "post-Potter" boom in classic children's fantasy I keep
      > reading about.

      I just wanted to mention this delightful new publication in children's
      lit: The Bake Shop Ghost (Hardcover)
      by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Marjorie A. Priceman (Illustrator)

      Here is a quick review: http://www.watermarkbooks.com/review0705-011.html

      I heard it on NPR while driving somewhere and it was just a lovely
      little tale, full of delight and fantasy. Lezlie
    • Bianca Iano
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
        David Bratman wrote:

        > Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
        > found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
        > book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
        > the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
        > other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
        > Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

        I don't know Eddings' books, but judging by Johansen's handy plot summary
        ("the willful princess Ce'Nedra") I take your point.

        I definitely choose by author for the children. On the other hand, one
        nephew loved the LotR but thought the Silmarillion (the original 1 vol.
        edition) was even better. That seems like some kind of structural
        (or maybe content?) preference, though I could never quite figure it out.
        Their reactions to books fascinate (and sometimes puzzle) me, expecially as
        things have changed. I don't thing a preference for the Silmarillion would
        have been likely twenty years ago, though perhaps Tolkien would have been

        Thanks to Lezlie for the book recommendations, as I'm always looking around
        for children's books (all ages).

        B. Davis