RE: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
      expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
      Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
      wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
      the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
      bit pedestrian in its execution.

      Hugh

      >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
      >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
      >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
      >
      >Greetings John:
      >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
      >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
      >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
      >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
      >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
      >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
      >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
      >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
      >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
      >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
      >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
      >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
      >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
      >Best
      >Anthony
      >NE Tolkien Society
      >
      >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
      >documentary
      > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
      >Discovery
      > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
      >but
      > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
      > >
      > > --JDR

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
        Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
        the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
        choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
        disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

        > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
        >
        > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
        >
        > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
        production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
        tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
        Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
        my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
        point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
        glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
        reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
        professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
        and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
        balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
        smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
        tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

        > Thanks to son John for digging this up.
        >
        > Diamond Proudb rook

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          There was an opera of PERELANDRA, composed by Donald Swann. He visited
          Lewis once to discuss it and I conclude CSL was not hostile to the notion,
          though I doubt he ever attended the production (someone may know better than
          me on this, though). Swann, half of the comedy duo Flanders & Swann, was
          also a serious composer who put some of Tolkien's songs to music, as well.
          He must have liked our authors.

          (Competition now open for opera from a Charles Williams work. Which one
          would be best?)

          Diamond Proudbrook