Re: CSL documentary

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      Greetings John:
      Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
      documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
      the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
      about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
      life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
      a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
      Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
      re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
      each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
      Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
      Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
      bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
      finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
      Best
      Anthony
      NE Tolkien Society

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
      wrote:

      > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
      documentary
      > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
      Discovery
      > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
      but
      > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
      >
      > --JDR

    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
        expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
        Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
        wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
        the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
        bit pedestrian in its execution.

        Hugh

        >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
        >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
        >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
        >
        >Greetings John:
        >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
        >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
        >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
        >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
        >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
        >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
        >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
        >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
        >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
        >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
        >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
        >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
        >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
        >Best
        >Anthony
        >NE Tolkien Society
        >
        >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
        >wrote:
        > >
        > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
        >documentary
        > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
        >Discovery
        > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
        >but
        > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
        > >
        > > --JDR

      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
          Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
          the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
          choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
          disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

          > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
          >
          > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
          >
          > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
          production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
          tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
          Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
          my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
          point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
          glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
          reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
          professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
          and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
          balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
          smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
          tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

          > Thanks to son John for digging this up.
          >
          > Diamond Proudb rook

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
            There was an opera of PERELANDRA, composed by Donald Swann. He visited
            Lewis once to discuss it and I conclude CSL was not hostile to the notion,
            though I doubt he ever attended the production (someone may know better than
            me on this, though). Swann, half of the comedy duo Flanders & Swann, was
            also a serious composer who put some of Tolkien's songs to music, as well.
            He must have liked our authors.

            (Competition now open for opera from a Charles Williams work. Which one
            would be best?)

            Diamond Proudbrook