Re: [mythsoc] New Oxford Review on CSL

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      I'm a vet for so long that I can tell you Sherwood Smith choreographed " Til We
      Have Faces"
      for the 1973 Mythcon. I was Orual. Just an impressionistic little piece,
      performed by candlelight
      to music from the "Lady & the Unicorn" album.

      Cirque Du Soleil could do Perelandra, rather uniquely, I'd think. (Is that the
      sound of DB hurling?)

      This Blast from the Past has been brought to you all by
      Bonnie Callahan

      Happi New Year!

      David Bratman wrote:

      > At 10:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0600, New Oxford Review wrote:
      > >An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
      >
      > >' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production
      > >entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and
      > >slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled
      > >me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on
      > >relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read
      > >Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it.
      >
      > Sounds like the writer has simply never thought in terms of ballet about
      > anything at all. That's perfectly OK, as long as you don't make a virtue
      > out of it.
      >
      > > The
      > >picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great
      > >pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive
      > >life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The
      > >professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study
      > >cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled
      > >sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '
      >
      > I doubt very much that this is the picture Lewis wanted readers to have
      > when reading his novel. Focus on the story, not on the author.
      >
      > DB

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Anthony and Jessica
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        Greetings John:
        Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
        documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
        the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
        about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
        life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
        a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
        Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
        re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
        each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
        Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
        Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
        bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
        finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
        Best
        Anthony
        NE Tolkien Society

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
        wrote:

        > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
        documentary
        > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
        Discovery
        > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
        but
        > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
        >
        > --JDR

      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
          I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
          expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
          Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
          wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
          the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
          bit pedestrian in its execution.

          Hugh

          >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
          >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
          >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
          >
          >Greetings John:
          >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
          >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
          >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
          >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
          >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
          >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
          >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
          >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
          >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
          >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
          >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
          >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
          >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
          >Best
          >Anthony
          >NE Tolkien Society
          >
          >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
          >wrote:
          > >
          > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
          >documentary
          > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
          >Discovery
          > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
          >but
          > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
          > >
          > > --JDR

        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
            Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
            the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
            choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
            disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

            > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
            >
            > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
            >
            > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
            production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
            tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
            Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
            my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
            point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
            glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
            reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
            professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
            and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
            balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
            smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
            tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

            > Thanks to son John for digging this up.
            >
            > Diamond Proudb rook

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
              There was an opera of PERELANDRA, composed by Donald Swann. He visited
              Lewis once to discuss it and I conclude CSL was not hostile to the notion,
              though I doubt he ever attended the production (someone may know better than
              me on this, though). Swann, half of the comedy duo Flanders & Swann, was
              also a serious composer who put some of Tolkien's songs to music, as well.
              He must have liked our authors.

              (Competition now open for opera from a Charles Williams work. Which one
              would be best?)

              Diamond Proudbrook