Re: [mythsoc] K.V. Johansen

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
      At 09:10 PM 12/29/2005 -0500, B. Davis wrote:

      > I have a question for David, if he has time to respond: You wrote that
      >Johansen connects books which share structural similarities rather than
      >discussing flavor or style. Could you elaborate? Do you feel this limits
      >her analysis, or that there are other writers who do a better job of
      >discussing authorial style? (This isn't a criticism, I'm simply curious.)

      In a word, yes. Johansen is so knowledgable and generally perceptive that
      this was not a major problem with the book.

      Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
      found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
      book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
      the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
      other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
      Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

      DB
    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "B. Davis" <bi233@n...> wrote:

        > Thanks to David Bratman for his very interesting review in
        Mythprint of
        > K.V. Johansen's "Quests and Kingdoms". I bought the book intending
        it as
        > a reference guide to the post-80's fantasy my nephews read, but
        found it a
        > pleasurable read. I was particularly happy that she highlights
        books like
        > Masefield's "Box of Delights" which seem to have dropped out of sight,
        > despite the "post-Potter" boom in classic children's fantasy I keep
        > reading about.

        I just wanted to mention this delightful new publication in children's
        lit: The Bake Shop Ghost (Hardcover)
        by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Marjorie A. Priceman (Illustrator)

        Here is a quick review: http://www.watermarkbooks.com/review0705-011.html

        I heard it on NPR while driving somewhere and it was just a lovely
        little tale, full of delight and fantasy. Lezlie
      • Bianca Iano
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
          David Bratman wrote:

          > Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
          > found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
          > book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
          > the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
          > other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
          > Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

          I don't know Eddings' books, but judging by Johansen's handy plot summary
          ("the willful princess Ce'Nedra") I take your point.

          I definitely choose by author for the children. On the other hand, one
          nephew loved the LotR but thought the Silmarillion (the original 1 vol.
          edition) was even better. That seems like some kind of structural
          (or maybe content?) preference, though I could never quite figure it out.
          Their reactions to books fascinate (and sometimes puzzle) me, expecially as
          things have changed. I don't thing a preference for the Silmarillion would
          have been likely twenty years ago, though perhaps Tolkien would have been
          pleased.

          Thanks to Lezlie for the book recommendations, as I'm always looking around
          for children's books (all ages).

          B. Davis