K.V. Johansen

  • B. Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
      Thanks to David Bratman for his very interesting review in Mythprint of
      K.V. Johansen's "Quests and Kingdoms". I bought the book intending it as
      a reference guide to the post-80's fantasy my nephews read, but found it a
      pleasurable read. I was particularly happy that she highlights books like
      Masefield's "Box of Delights" which seem to have dropped out of sight,
      despite the "post-Potter" boom in classic children's fantasy I keep
      reading about.

      I have a question for David, if he has time to respond: You wrote that
      Johansen connects books which share structural similarities rather than
      discussing flavor or style. Could you elaborate? Do you feel this limits
      her analysis, or that there are other writers who do a better job of
      discussing authorial style? (This isn't a criticism, I'm simply curious.)
      I've noticed that while my nephews often express what are structural
      preferences --- for instance, a dislike for secondary world fantasies ---
      this is not always a reliable guide to what they will actually read,
      depending on the author.

      Ironically, though I'm enjoying her book, for post-80's fantasy I still
      find that 13 year olds make the best critics. It's the older stuff they
      tend to overlook.

      B. Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
        At 09:10 PM 12/29/2005 -0500, B. Davis wrote:

        > I have a question for David, if he has time to respond: You wrote that
        >Johansen connects books which share structural similarities rather than
        >discussing flavor or style. Could you elaborate? Do you feel this limits
        >her analysis, or that there are other writers who do a better job of
        >discussing authorial style? (This isn't a criticism, I'm simply curious.)

        In a word, yes. Johansen is so knowledgable and generally perceptive that
        this was not a major problem with the book.

        Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
        found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
        book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
        the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
        other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
        Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

        DB
      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "B. Davis" <bi233@n...> wrote:

          > Thanks to David Bratman for his very interesting review in
          Mythprint of
          > K.V. Johansen's "Quests and Kingdoms". I bought the book intending
          it as
          > a reference guide to the post-80's fantasy my nephews read, but
          found it a
          > pleasurable read. I was particularly happy that she highlights
          books like
          > Masefield's "Box of Delights" which seem to have dropped out of sight,
          > despite the "post-Potter" boom in classic children's fantasy I keep
          > reading about.

          I just wanted to mention this delightful new publication in children's
          lit: The Bake Shop Ghost (Hardcover)
          by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Marjorie A. Priceman (Illustrator)

          Here is a quick review: http://www.watermarkbooks.com/review0705-011.html

          I heard it on NPR while driving somewhere and it was just a lovely
          little tale, full of delight and fantasy. Lezlie
        • Bianca Iano
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
            David Bratman wrote:

            > Nevertheless, I as a reader (and especially when I was a child reader)
            > found, as your nephews perhaps are finding, that it is the spirit of the
            > book and approach of the author, not the surface characteristics, that make
            > the similarities and differences between books that will best predict which
            > other books I will like if a particular one appeals to me. Going from
            > Tolkien to, say, David Eddings doesn't cut it for me.

            I don't know Eddings' books, but judging by Johansen's handy plot summary
            ("the willful princess Ce'Nedra") I take your point.

            I definitely choose by author for the children. On the other hand, one
            nephew loved the LotR but thought the Silmarillion (the original 1 vol.
            edition) was even better. That seems like some kind of structural
            (or maybe content?) preference, though I could never quite figure it out.
            Their reactions to books fascinate (and sometimes puzzle) me, expecially as
            things have changed. I don't thing a preference for the Silmarillion would
            have been likely twenty years ago, though perhaps Tolkien would have been
            pleased.

            Thanks to Lezlie for the book recommendations, as I'm always looking around
            for children's books (all ages).

            B. Davis