CSL documentary

  • John D. Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2005
      On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis documentary
      that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the Discovery
      channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it, but
      hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.

      --JDR
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        I'm a vet for so long that I can tell you Sherwood Smith choreographed " Til We
        Have Faces"
        for the 1973 Mythcon. I was Orual. Just an impressionistic little piece,
        performed by candlelight
        to music from the "Lady & the Unicorn" album.

        Cirque Du Soleil could do Perelandra, rather uniquely, I'd think. (Is that the
        sound of DB hurling?)

        This Blast from the Past has been brought to you all by
        Bonnie Callahan

        Happi New Year!

        David Bratman wrote:

        > At 10:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0600, New Oxford Review wrote:
        > >An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
        >
        > >' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production
        > >entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and
        > >slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled
        > >me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on
        > >relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read
        > >Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it.
        >
        > Sounds like the writer has simply never thought in terms of ballet about
        > anything at all. That's perfectly OK, as long as you don't make a virtue
        > out of it.
        >
        > > The
        > >picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great
        > >pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive
        > >life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The
        > >professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study
        > >cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled
        > >sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '
        >
        > I doubt very much that this is the picture Lewis wanted readers to have
        > when reading his novel. Focus on the story, not on the author.
        >
        > DB

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
          Greetings John:
          Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
          documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
          the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
          about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
          life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
          a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
          Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
          re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
          each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
          Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
          Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
          bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
          finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
          Best
          Anthony
          NE Tolkien Society

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
          wrote:

          > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
          documentary
          > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
          Discovery
          > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
          but
          > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
          >
          > --JDR

        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
            I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
            expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
            Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
            wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
            the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
            bit pedestrian in its execution.

            Hugh

            >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
            >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
            >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
            >
            >Greetings John:
            >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
            >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
            >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
            >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
            >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
            >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
            >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
            >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
            >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
            >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
            >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
            >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
            >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
            >Best
            >Anthony
            >NE Tolkien Society
            >
            >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
            >wrote:
            > >
            > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
            >documentary
            > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
            >Discovery
            > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
            >but
            > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
            > >
            > > --JDR

          • Lezlie
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
              Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
              the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
              choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
              disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

              > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
              >
              > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
              >
              > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
              production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
              tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
              Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
              my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
              point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
              glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
              reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
              professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
              and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
              balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
              smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
              tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

              > Thanks to son John for digging this up.
              >
              > Diamond Proudb rook

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
                There was an opera of PERELANDRA, composed by Donald Swann. He visited
                Lewis once to discuss it and I conclude CSL was not hostile to the notion,
                though I doubt he ever attended the production (someone may know better than
                me on this, though). Swann, half of the comedy duo Flanders & Swann, was
                also a serious composer who put some of Tolkien's songs to music, as well.
                He must have liked our authors.

                (Competition now open for opera from a Charles Williams work. Which one
                would be best?)

                Diamond Proudbrook