New Oxford Review on CSL

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:

      http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray

      ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

      Thanks to son John for digging this up.

      Diamond Proudb rook

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2005
        At 10:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0600, New Oxford Review wrote:
        >An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:

        >' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production
        >entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and
        >slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled
        >me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on
        >relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read
        >Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it.

        Sounds like the writer has simply never thought in terms of ballet about
        anything at all. That's perfectly OK, as long as you don't make a virtue
        out of it.

        > The
        >picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great
        >pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive
        >life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The
        >professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study
        >cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled
        >sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

        I doubt very much that this is the picture Lewis wanted readers to have
        when reading his novel. Focus on the story, not on the author.

        DB
      • John D. Rateliff
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2005
          On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis documentary
          that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the Discovery
          channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it, but
          hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.

          --JDR
        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
            I'm a vet for so long that I can tell you Sherwood Smith choreographed " Til We
            Have Faces"
            for the 1973 Mythcon. I was Orual. Just an impressionistic little piece,
            performed by candlelight
            to music from the "Lady & the Unicorn" album.

            Cirque Du Soleil could do Perelandra, rather uniquely, I'd think. (Is that the
            sound of DB hurling?)

            This Blast from the Past has been brought to you all by
            Bonnie Callahan

            Happi New Year!

            David Bratman wrote:

            > At 10:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0600, New Oxford Review wrote:
            > >An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
            >
            > >' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance production
            > >entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in tights and
            > >slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining Lewis had baffled
            > >me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over my head. Ransom on
            > >relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on point? Though I have read
            > >Lewis's novel many times I have never glimpsed a ballet hidden in it.
            >
            > Sounds like the writer has simply never thought in terms of ballet about
            > anything at all. That's perfectly OK, as long as you don't make a virtue
            > out of it.
            >
            > > The
            > >picture that comes to my mind when reading it (a picture that gives me great
            > >pleasure) is of a sedentary professor vigorously scribbling into fictive
            > >life an oceanic paradise and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The
            > >professor is plump and balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study
            > >cloudy with tobacco smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled
            > >sleeve of his tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '
            >
            > I doubt very much that this is the picture Lewis wanted readers to have
            > when reading his novel. Focus on the story, not on the author.
            >
            > DB

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Anthony and Jessica
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
              Greetings John:
              Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
              documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
              the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
              about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
              life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
              a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
              Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
              re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
              each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
              Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
              Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
              bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
              finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
              Best
              Anthony
              NE Tolkien Society

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
              wrote:

              > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
              documentary
              > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
              Discovery
              > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
              but
              > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
              >
              > --JDR

            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                I was a bit underwhelmed with this special. When I saw it was to air, I half
                expected it to be tied to the film (as I recall Bravo running a "Page to the
                Screen" special when one of the Tolkien adaptations came out). The fact it
                wasn't was certainly fine, but the end result felt more like going through
                the motions than anything else. The material was all solid, but it felt a
                bit pedestrian in its execution.

                Hugh

                >From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>
                >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [mythsoc] Re: CSL documentary
                >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:49:34 -0000
                >
                >Greetings John:
                >Hope your New Year is beginning well--Prior to Xmas we caught a
                >documentary entitled: "C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia," which, if this is
                >the one your friends refer to, had Brian Sibley doing commentary work
                >about Lewis, and an actor on a set aka the Kilns telling of Lewis'
                >life. As the actor spoke of Lewis' life in 1st person, there would be
                >a scene detailing that specific period being spoken of, i.e. an
                >Inklings meeting w/ Tolkien telling Lewis that "this just won't do"
                >re: Narnia, other actors there played Williams, Warnie et al. After
                >each scene Sibley would speak more on his life.
                >Its ok, pretty basic stuff one can read out of a biography, ala
                >Sayer's "Jack"--the acting and depictions of the Inklings are a
                >bit "hokey" and "cheesy" if my clumsy words make sense ---(have not
                >finished 1st cup o tea yet--still not awake :-)
                >Best
                >Anthony
                >NE Tolkien Society
                >
                >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Rateliff" <sacnoth@e...>
                >wrote:
                > >
                > > On Christmas Day, some friends asked if I'd seen the C. S. Lewis
                >documentary
                > > that'd been on tv a few days before, I think they said on the
                >Discovery
                > > channel. Did anyone catch this? Was it any good? I'd like to see it,
                >but
                > > hard to track it down without a title or any specific information.
                > >
                > > --JDR

              • Lezlie
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Very enjoyable! You know...there might *be* a ballet in Perelandra ...
                  the Muses know that stranger material has been mined for ballet
                  choreographers (if that's the terminology). I suspect Lewis would
                  disapprove of "that modern stuff", though. Lezlie

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

                  > An enjoyable article about Lewis' true stature:
                  >
                  > http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0599-gray
                  >
                  > ' Most startling of all was the brochure's promise of a dance
                  production entitled Perelandra, to be performed on-stage by persons in
                  tights and slippers (a photo was supplied). If the idea of explaining
                  Lewis had baffled me, the idea of dancing Lewis went completely over
                  my head. Ransom on relevé? The Unman in his undies? Perelandrians on
                  point? Though I have read Lewis's novel many times I have never
                  glimpsed a ballet hidden in it. The picture that comes to my mind when
                  reading it (a picture that gives me great pleasure) is of a sedentary
                  professor vigorously scribbling into fictive life an oceanic paradise
                  and the primeval innocents who inhabit it. The professor is plump and
                  balding. He sits at a desk in a book-lined study cloudy with tobacco
                  smoke. He spills a little cigarette ash on the wrinkled sleeve of his
                  tweed coat as he drives his pen across the page. '

                  > Thanks to son John for digging this up.
                  >
                  > Diamond Proudb rook

                • Stolzi
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
                    There was an opera of PERELANDRA, composed by Donald Swann. He visited
                    Lewis once to discuss it and I conclude CSL was not hostile to the notion,
                    though I doubt he ever attended the production (someone may know better than
                    me on this, though). Swann, half of the comedy duo Flanders & Swann, was
                    also a serious composer who put some of Tolkien's songs to music, as well.
                    He must have liked our authors.

                    (Competition now open for opera from a Charles Williams work. Which one
                    would be best?)

                    Diamond Proudbrook