Re: New essay at MERP.COM: Flying away on a wing and a hair ...

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@e...>
      wrote:

      > On Dec 28, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Michael Martinez wrote:
      >
      > > But Tolkien's remaining unpublished linguistic materials have
      > > been conferred to the editorial care of a small group of
      > > linguists working with Carl Hostetter.
      >
      > While this is technically true, it will probably unintentionally
      > mislead people into thinking that I'm in charge of all this. In
      > fact, the bulk of the language papers is under the chief
      > editorship of Christopher Gilson (in _Parma Eldalamberon_), not
      > myself (in _Vinyar Tengwar_). Also please note that by "the
      > linguistic materials" is to be understood _photocopies_ of those
      > manuscripts that Tolkien himself collected into several box-files
      > of language-related materials. There is in addition quite a bit of
      > scattered and more-or-less fragmentary linguistic materials that
      > my colleagues and I have gleaned from the various Tolkien
      > manuscript archives, chiefly Marquette and the Bodleian.

      Sorry about. I usually think of you as being the leader of the
      group, or the chief editor, since you are the most visible member to
      me.

      I'll edit the essay later today or this evening to more accurately
      reflect the situation.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing