Tolkien's "True Myth": Biblical Mythology

  • Nerdanel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2005
      Greetings, All,

      This might be slightly off topic, but I have just run across a new
      book that Tolkien may have described as one of the "true myths." It
      is the story of Noah and his family in the five years before the
      Flood described in Genesis. Interestingly enough, the author, who is
      only 19 years old, says on the back of the book that her favourite
      authors are J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, and C.S. Lewis. She
      uses two quotes from Tolkien's poem, "The Nameless Land" from _The
      Book of Lost Tales II_ in the beginnings of two of her chapters.

      http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?
      Search=Yes

      I enjoyed the book, and its true-mythical aspects, although it is
      clear that this is her first book, by the writing style (which is
      not bad; merely underdeveloped.)

      Oh, by the way, it's called _Sight of the Sea_. Her website on the
      book is:

      http://www.alissonrveldhuis.com/Sight_of_the_Sea.html

      One of the most interesting parts in the book is actually in the
      author notes, when she notes Tolkien as being one of the best
      writers of all time. "Imagine if Einstein, Michelangelo, or J.R.R.
      Tolkien had lived nearly a millennium; they certainly would have had
      a chance to perfect their art!"

      Another interesting thing - The cover art is done by a Tolkien
      artist named Anke Eissmann. The painting is called "The Fostering of
      Tuor."

      Cheers,

      Valentine de V.