New essay at MERP.COM: Flying away on a wing and a hair ...

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2005
      This article was inspired by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's
      book, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: A READER'S COMPANION. It is not a
      review but does discuss the book.

      The MERP server has been undergoing some technical modificatons
      lately but was loading pages fast for me this morning. The essay was
      supposed to be published with much fanfare yesterday, the day the
      READERS' COMPANION was due for publication in the U.S. Didn't quite
      happen the way we hoped.

      Teaser Description:
      Authoritative new books about Middle-earth are few and far between.
      Quite often, when a newly published book provides new information
      about Middle-earth, our long-cherished ideas are challenged and must
      be re-evaluated.

      Main Text:
      The History of Middle-earth stutters to a very non-profound ending
      with Christopher Tolkien's final notes on "Tal-Elmar" at the end of
      The Peoples of Middle-earth. His role in the long meticulous process
      of organizing and publishing his father's notes and manuscripts ends
      quietly. So many questions remain unanswered by the twelfth volume of
      HOME that many people express considerable frustration. "Is that all
      there is to Middle-earth?" they ask.

      The answer then in 1996 was both "yes" and "no". "Yes" because the
      megalithic understructure of the details had been carefully laid out,
      except for one minor area. "No" because Christopher paid scant
      attention to the development of The Hobbit, a task which had been
      delegated to the late Taum Santoski. Upon Santoski's death, the
      responsibility fell to John Rateliff, who has yet to produce the much
      anticipated, long desired history of The Hobbit (which at one time
      had the working title of Mr. Baggins).

      Douglas Anderson's Annotated Hobbit, revised and updated in 2002,
      serves as the Tolkien community's primary resource for studying the
      development of The Hobbit. A vital secondary source is J.R.R.
      Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, edited by Wayne Hammond and Christina
      Scull. A few comments by Christopher scattered throughout the
      History of Middle-earth books round out the limited resources we have
      for studying JRRT's work on The Hobbit.

      But Tolkien's remaining unpublished linguistic materials have been
      conferred to the editorial care of a small group of linguists working
      with Carl Hostetter. The strict conditions attached to the materials
      are mired in dispute and recrimination within the relatively small
      Tolkien linguistic community. Some of the foremost Tolkien linguists
      have pressed hard for speedier access to the material. The conflict
      occasionally spills over into non-linguistic discussions, but has
      largely been contained within the circles of Tolkien linguistic
      studies.

      Many ardent Tolkien readers are no strangers to conflict. The worlds
      of Tolkien scholarship, both formal and informal, resound to the
      heated cries of inflammatory debate. I don't know any Tolkien
      scholars who haven't privately said to me, "You may find an answer
      with so-and-so, but don't mention my name as it won't open any doors
      for you." In fact, I've found myself saying that on a few occasions.

      One might feel that, with Tolkien's death in 1973, sufficient time
      should have passed for everyone to have studied everything. The art
      of Tolkien analysis, if not Tolkien criticism, should by now be well-
      defined and considered almost scientific. But the magic of Tolkien's
      craft is that it continues producing new discoveries almost on a
      yearly basis. The last significant release of material regarding
      Middle-earth in Tolkien's life was probably the 1969 Pauline Baines
      map. The map included maybe half a dozen place-names no one had seen
      before (such as Edhellon, Lond Daer Ened, and Framsburg).

      Read the full article here:
      http://www.merp.com/essays/MichaelMartinez/flyingaway

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@x...>
        wrote:

        > This article was inspired by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's
        > book, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: A READER'S COMPANION. It is not a
        > review but does discuss the book.
        >
        > The MERP server has been undergoing some technical modificatons
        > lately but was loading pages fast for me this morning. The essay
        was
        > supposed to be published with much fanfare yesterday, the day the
        > READERS' COMPANION was due for publication in the U.S. Didn't
        quite
        > happen the way we hoped.

        Well, the server actually went down yesterday but seems to be up and
        running fine this morning. I hope they got the problem fixed.

        http://www.merp.com/essays/MichaelMartinez/flyingaway

        I actually posted a non-Tolkien paper on another site last week and
        THEIR server went down, too.

        --
        Michael Martinez
        Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
        Middle-earth
        http://www.michael-martinez.com/
        "Cuando Maria canta, canta para mí"
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
          On Dec 28, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Michael Martinez wrote:

          > But Tolkien's remaining unpublished linguistic materials have been
          > conferred to the editorial care of a small group of linguists
          > working with Carl Hostetter.

          While this is technically true, it will probably unintentionally
          mislead people into thinking that I'm in charge of all this. In fact,
          the bulk of the language papers is under the chief editorship of
          Christopher Gilson (in _Parma Eldalamberon_), not myself (in _Vinyar
          Tengwar_). Also please note that by "the linguistic materials" is to
          be understood _photocopies_ of those manuscripts that Tolkien himself
          collected into several box-files of language-related materials. There
          is in addition quite a bit of scattered and more-or-less fragmentary
          linguistic materials that my colleagues and I have gleaned from the
          various Tolkien manuscript archives, chiefly Marquette and the Bodleian.
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@e...>
            wrote:

            > On Dec 28, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Michael Martinez wrote:
            >
            > > But Tolkien's remaining unpublished linguistic materials have
            > > been conferred to the editorial care of a small group of
            > > linguists working with Carl Hostetter.
            >
            > While this is technically true, it will probably unintentionally
            > mislead people into thinking that I'm in charge of all this. In
            > fact, the bulk of the language papers is under the chief
            > editorship of Christopher Gilson (in _Parma Eldalamberon_), not
            > myself (in _Vinyar Tengwar_). Also please note that by "the
            > linguistic materials" is to be understood _photocopies_ of those
            > manuscripts that Tolkien himself collected into several box-files
            > of language-related materials. There is in addition quite a bit of
            > scattered and more-or-less fragmentary linguistic materials that
            > my colleagues and I have gleaned from the various Tolkien
            > manuscript archives, chiefly Marquette and the Bodleian.

            Sorry about. I usually think of you as being the leader of the
            group, or the chief editor, since you are the most visible member to
            me.

            I'll edit the essay later today or this evening to more accurately
            reflect the situation.