If you think I hate ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2005
      ... the films of you know what, I just got this response - from a
      well-known fantasy writer, by the way - to a comment elsewhere about the
      unfaithfulness of unspecified "Tolkien adaptations":

      >There are no Tolkien adaptations, nobody would be so crass.
      >
      >Truly, I didn't see them. Nor will I see any movies by anyone who directed
      >or acted in any such travesties. Just hearing people talking about them
      >makes me irrationally angry.

      Susan recommended such an astringent approach to me, but I did not feel in
      a position to take that approach.

      But truly, this person's vehemence impresses even me.

      DB
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        Interesting. I don't understand his or her remark about there not
        being any Tolkien adaptations, unless by this he or she means that no
        one has messed with Tolkien's text, as they have with Lewis's LWW.
        Just a few days ago I picked up Jacobs' THE NARNIAN, and found on the
        bookstore's display no less than four re-writings of Lewis's book:
        THE QUEST FOR ASLAN by Jasmine Jones (a 64-page retelling of the
        entire story), as well as EDMUND & THE WHITE WITCH, TEA WITH MR.
        TUMNUS, and WELCOME TO NARNIA, which retold episodes in simple
        (dumbed down) language. All three had lots of pictures. Thanks to the
        Tolkien Estate, we've been spared anything like that re. Tolkien's
        books.

        As for his or her deciding not to see films the v. thought of which
        made him or her "irrationally angry", that seems like a good call. I
        have to wonder, though, about the whole secondary separation thing;
        seems like a huge investment of mental energy to find out everyone
        involved in all three films and then keeping track of their role in
        subsequent films so he or she can boycott them all. What a waste of
        time and energy.

        --JDR

        just finished: PRE-RAPHAELITE WOMEN (Marsh).
        just started: THE NARNIAN (Jacobs), which I hope is better than its
        title.