Re: [mythsoc] Miller ... Chronicles of Narnia ... NR Online

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
      On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
      > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
      > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
      > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
      > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
      > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
      > bland, or offensive.

      I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
      trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
      cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
      then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      mwinslow@...

      Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
    • Jonathan Michael Reiter
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
        Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
        That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

        Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

        Atomtetsuwan2002
        at2k2
        > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
        > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
        > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
        > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
        > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
        > bland, or offensive.

        I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
        trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
        cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
        then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

        --
        Matthew Winslow
        mwinslow@...
        www.xreal.org

        Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

        Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report