Re: Miller ... Chronicles of Narnia ... NR Online

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26 8:35 AM
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

      school
      > > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
      > > values." Lezlie
      > >

      > Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
      > article. Am I missing something?
      >
      > --JDR

      Yup -- you did. First sentance of one of the two articles linked to --
      "Narnian Order: Which C. S. Lewis book comes first?"
      wherein the author quotes Gov. Bush (paraphrased) that the "liberals"
      are "already" objecting to Narnia (the film). I've heard similar
      silly statements from the "religious" press here and there as well.
      Nonsense. Lezlie
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27 7:43 AM
        On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
        > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
        > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
        > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
        > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
        > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
        > bland, or offensive.

        I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
        trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
        cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
        then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

        --
        Matthew Winslow
        mwinslow@...

        Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
      • Jonathan Michael Reiter
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27 8:32 AM
          Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
          That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

          Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

          Atomtetsuwan2002
          at2k2
          > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
          > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
          > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
          > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
          > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
          > bland, or offensive.

          I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
          trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
          cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
          then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

          --
          Matthew Winslow
          mwinslow@...
          www.xreal.org

          Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

          Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report