Re: [mythsoc] Miller ... Chronicles of Narnia ... NR Online

  • Christine Howlett
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
      Certainly it depends on your tastes. If you still enjoy fiction written for
      children, then I think this would please you. I think CSL does a better job
      with the child characters and the animal characters than he does with his
      adult characters. The children seem more real and rounded, a realistic
      compound of good and bad, yet still rather fetching. The space trilogy
      seemed almost a bad morality play with characters that got to be more and
      more cardboard. I liked the fantasy and I loved the animal characters. But
      if you find talking animals too cutesy, then by all means avoid it.
      Christine
      I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
      think I would like them?

      Walter.
    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

        school
        > > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
        > > values." Lezlie
        > >

        > Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
        > article. Am I missing something?
        >
        > --JDR

        Yup -- you did. First sentance of one of the two articles linked to --
        "Narnian Order: Which C. S. Lewis book comes first?"
        wherein the author quotes Gov. Bush (paraphrased) that the "liberals"
        are "already" objecting to Narnia (the film). I've heard similar
        silly statements from the "religious" press here and there as well.
        Nonsense. Lezlie
      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@e...> wrote:

          > I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I
          mean, do you
          > think I would like them?
          >
          > Walter.

          You might consider it-- if only to keep up with the conversation
          herein <grin>. I actually *didn't* like LWWW in grade school when we
          read it as a class -- but, I enjoyed all seven books as a teen when I
          read them to my little brother (who was born in 1965) and as an adult
          when my daughter and I read three of the seven together (she was born
          in 1984). She enjoyed them, too. I enjoy the hopeful message, the
          fanciful characters, and the touches of humor. I didn't think CSL was
          at all overbearing in his Christianity. I think my enjoyment of the
          books stemmed from my love of fairy tales rather than any theological
          consideration. Lewis led me back to Grimm & Perault and from there to
          all sorts of places since.

          Nowadays, my tastes in fantasy do run toward a more balanced views of
          adults -- men, especially, women, and even *children* -- than CSL (or,
          just about any writer in any genre of his generation) were able to
          imagine. It won't stop me from seeing the film.

          I, personally, find more interest and depth in Tolkien these days than
          in Lewis -- either in Narnia or his SF trilogy. Lezlie
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
            On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
            > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
            > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
            > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
            > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
            > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
            > bland, or offensive.

            I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
            trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
            cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
            then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

            --
            Matthew Winslow
            mwinslow@...

            Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
          • Jonathan Michael Reiter
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
              Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
              That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

              Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

              Atomtetsuwan2002
              at2k2
              > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
              > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
              > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
              > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
              > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
              > bland, or offensive.

              I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
              trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
              cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
              then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

              --
              Matthew Winslow
              mwinslow@...
              www.xreal.org

              Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

              Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report