RE: [mythsoc] Miller ... Chronicles of Narnia ... NR Online

  • Ginger McElwee
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
      I also read all seven Narnia books (and the Charles Williams novels) when I
      converted to Christianity while I was in college. I loved the Narnia books
      and Williams, but I never cared for Lewis' adult trilogy. Of course, I
      still enjoy children's literature, so maybe I am not a typical adult reader.

      Ginger McElwee

      _____

      *

      _____

    • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
        > Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
        > later, and loved
        > them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the boxed
        > set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
        > London...

        I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
        school as Harry Potter is now.

        Joan
      • Walter Padgett
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
          On 12/24/05, Joan.Marie.Verba@... <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

> [...]

          I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
          think I would like them?

          Walter.

        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
            Well, I was about 30 when I first read and loved them - another life-long
            kid-lit fan. I liked CSL's trilogy, especially Perelandra, but parts of
            That Hideous Strength put a bad taste in my mouth. But CSL's imagery is
            compelling in spite of his peculiar ideas of women.
            Christine

            > From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
            >
            >> Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
            >> later, and loved
            >> them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the
            >> boxed
            >> set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
            >> London...
            >
            > I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
            > school as Harry Potter is now.
            >
            > Joan

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Christine Howlett
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
              Certainly it depends on your tastes. If you still enjoy fiction written for
              children, then I think this would please you. I think CSL does a better job
              with the child characters and the animal characters than he does with his
              adult characters. The children seem more real and rounded, a realistic
              compound of good and bad, yet still rather fetching. The space trilogy
              seemed almost a bad morality play with characters that got to be more and
              more cardboard. I liked the fantasy and I loved the animal characters. But
              if you find talking animals too cutesy, then by all means avoid it.
              Christine
              I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
              think I would like them?

              Walter.
            • Lezlie
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

                school
                > > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
                > > values." Lezlie
                > >

                > Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
                > article. Am I missing something?
                >
                > --JDR

                Yup -- you did. First sentance of one of the two articles linked to --
                "Narnian Order: Which C. S. Lewis book comes first?"
                wherein the author quotes Gov. Bush (paraphrased) that the "liberals"
                are "already" objecting to Narnia (the film). I've heard similar
                silly statements from the "religious" press here and there as well.
                Nonsense. Lezlie
              • Lezlie
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@e...> wrote:

                  > I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I
                  mean, do you
                  > think I would like them?
                  >
                  > Walter.

                  You might consider it-- if only to keep up with the conversation
                  herein <grin>. I actually *didn't* like LWWW in grade school when we
                  read it as a class -- but, I enjoyed all seven books as a teen when I
                  read them to my little brother (who was born in 1965) and as an adult
                  when my daughter and I read three of the seven together (she was born
                  in 1984). She enjoyed them, too. I enjoy the hopeful message, the
                  fanciful characters, and the touches of humor. I didn't think CSL was
                  at all overbearing in his Christianity. I think my enjoyment of the
                  books stemmed from my love of fairy tales rather than any theological
                  consideration. Lewis led me back to Grimm & Perault and from there to
                  all sorts of places since.

                  Nowadays, my tastes in fantasy do run toward a more balanced views of
                  adults -- men, especially, women, and even *children* -- than CSL (or,
                  just about any writer in any genre of his generation) were able to
                  imagine. It won't stop me from seeing the film.

                  I, personally, find more interest and depth in Tolkien these days than
                  in Lewis -- either in Narnia or his SF trilogy. Lezlie
                • Matthew Winslow
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                    On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                    > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                    > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                    > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                    > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                    > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                    > bland, or offensive.

                    I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                    trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                    cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                    then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                    --
                    Matthew Winslow
                    mwinslow@...

                    Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
                  • Jonathan Michael Reiter
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                      Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
                      That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

                      Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

                      Atomtetsuwan2002
                      at2k2
                      > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                      > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                      > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                      > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                      > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                      > bland, or offensive.

                      I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                      trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                      cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                      then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                      --
                      Matthew Winslow
                      mwinslow@...
                      www.xreal.org

                      Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

                      Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report