Re: [mythsoc] Miller ... Chronicles of Narnia ... NR Online

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 23, 2005
      On Dec 23, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Lezlie wrote:
      > almost every child
      > and quite a few adults who have read the Narnia books loved them.
      > "Narnia" and it's messages of hope transcends notions like "liberal",
      > "conservative" in religious and certainly political bias.

      It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
      folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
      that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
      many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
      adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
      bland, or offensive. Personally, re-reading the series for the first
      time in twenty-four years, I'm finding them better than I remembered
      them, though still not good. So think it's like MacDonald, something
      you have to grow up with to see the appeal of. Which makes Tolkien's
      ability to draw in both young and adult readers all the more
      interesting.
      The movie, which we finally saw last night, was interesting: its
      fidelity in the whole made the departures in specifics stand out. I
      think the Christian element is far more submerged in the film than in
      the book: it's much easier to enjoy simply as a story without judging
      it as a theological work, which I think was exactly the right choice
      to make for a film.

      > Gov. Bush
      > simply sounds ridiculous and why anyone would bother to quote such a
      > silly statement is beyond comprehension. I am certain that CS Lewis
      > himself would agree. No one is going to take these books off school
      > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
      > values." Lezlie

      Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
      article. Am I missing something?

      --JDR

      current reading: JOSEPH AND ASENETH
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
        From: "John D Rateliff" <sacnoth@...>

        > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
        > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
        > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
        > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
        > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
        > bland, or offensive

        Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
        later, and loved
        them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the boxed
        set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
        London...

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Ginger McElwee
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
          I also read all seven Narnia books (and the Charles Williams novels) when I
          converted to Christianity while I was in college. I loved the Narnia books
          and Williams, but I never cared for Lewis' adult trilogy. Of course, I
          still enjoy children's literature, so maybe I am not a typical adult reader.

          Ginger McElwee

          _____

          *

          _____

        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
            > Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
            > later, and loved
            > them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the boxed
            > set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
            > London...

            I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
            school as Harry Potter is now.

            Joan
          • Walter Padgett
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
              On 12/24/05, Joan.Marie.Verba@... <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

> [...]

              I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
              think I would like them?

              Walter.

            • Christine Howlett
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                Well, I was about 30 when I first read and loved them - another life-long
                kid-lit fan. I liked CSL's trilogy, especially Perelandra, but parts of
                That Hideous Strength put a bad taste in my mouth. But CSL's imagery is
                compelling in spite of his peculiar ideas of women.
                Christine

                > From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
                >
                >> Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
                >> later, and loved
                >> them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the
                >> boxed
                >> set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
                >> London...
                >
                > I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
                > school as Harry Potter is now.
                >
                > Joan

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Christine Howlett
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                  Certainly it depends on your tastes. If you still enjoy fiction written for
                  children, then I think this would please you. I think CSL does a better job
                  with the child characters and the animal characters than he does with his
                  adult characters. The children seem more real and rounded, a realistic
                  compound of good and bad, yet still rather fetching. The space trilogy
                  seemed almost a bad morality play with characters that got to be more and
                  more cardboard. I liked the fantasy and I loved the animal characters. But
                  if you find talking animals too cutesy, then by all means avoid it.
                  Christine
                  I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
                  think I would like them?

                  Walter.
                • Lezlie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

                    school
                    > > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
                    > > values." Lezlie
                    > >

                    > Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
                    > article. Am I missing something?
                    >
                    > --JDR

                    Yup -- you did. First sentance of one of the two articles linked to --
                    "Narnian Order: Which C. S. Lewis book comes first?"
                    wherein the author quotes Gov. Bush (paraphrased) that the "liberals"
                    are "already" objecting to Narnia (the film). I've heard similar
                    silly statements from the "religious" press here and there as well.
                    Nonsense. Lezlie
                  • Lezlie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@e...> wrote:

                      > I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I
                      mean, do you
                      > think I would like them?
                      >
                      > Walter.

                      You might consider it-- if only to keep up with the conversation
                      herein <grin>. I actually *didn't* like LWWW in grade school when we
                      read it as a class -- but, I enjoyed all seven books as a teen when I
                      read them to my little brother (who was born in 1965) and as an adult
                      when my daughter and I read three of the seven together (she was born
                      in 1984). She enjoyed them, too. I enjoy the hopeful message, the
                      fanciful characters, and the touches of humor. I didn't think CSL was
                      at all overbearing in his Christianity. I think my enjoyment of the
                      books stemmed from my love of fairy tales rather than any theological
                      consideration. Lewis led me back to Grimm & Perault and from there to
                      all sorts of places since.

                      Nowadays, my tastes in fantasy do run toward a more balanced views of
                      adults -- men, especially, women, and even *children* -- than CSL (or,
                      just about any writer in any genre of his generation) were able to
                      imagine. It won't stop me from seeing the film.

                      I, personally, find more interest and depth in Tolkien these days than
                      in Lewis -- either in Narnia or his SF trilogy. Lezlie
                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                        On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                        > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                        > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                        > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                        > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                        > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                        > bland, or offensive.

                        I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                        trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                        cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                        then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                        --
                        Matthew Winslow
                        mwinslow@...

                        Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
                      • Jonathan Michael Reiter
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                          Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
                          That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

                          Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

                          Atomtetsuwan2002
                          at2k2
                          > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                          > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                          > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                          > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                          > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                          > bland, or offensive.

                          I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                          trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                          cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                          then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                          --
                          Matthew Winslow
                          mwinslow@...
                          www.xreal.org

                          Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

                          Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report