Re: John J. Miller on Christmas & Chronicles of Narnia on National Review Online

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 23, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Stolzi" <Stolzi@c...> wrote:

      > Good piece, I thought.
      >
      > http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/miller200512220847.asp
      >

      > Diamond Proudbrook

      Regardless of the words of a certain Governor bush, almost every child
      and quite a few adults who have read the Narnia books loved them.
      "Narnia" and it's messages of hope transcends notions like "liberal",
      "conservative" in religious and certainly political bias. Gov. Bush
      simply sounds ridiculous and why anyone would bother to quote such a
      silly statement is beyond comprehension. I am certain that CS Lewis
      himself would agree. No one is going to take these books off school
      library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
      values." Lezlie
    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2005

        > Indeed, a good piece.
        >
        > >The author of The Lord of the Rings might not have finished his own
        ew.com/miller/miller200512090900.asp>) and reports
        > that they liked it, though the four-year-old was a bit too young and
        > squirmed a bit. The kid also squirmed through "March of the Penguins",
        > which is far too long and slow-moving a film than I'd take a
        four-year-old
        > to see.
        >
        > David Bratman

        Why on earth do otherwise responsible people insist upon taking their
        4 year olds to long movies that they are too young to enjoy?? I am so
        tired of being subjected to parents without brains in public theaters,
        musical events & (really, the worst) sporting events. Lezlie
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 23, 2005
          On Dec 23, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Lezlie wrote:
          > almost every child
          > and quite a few adults who have read the Narnia books loved them.
          > "Narnia" and it's messages of hope transcends notions like "liberal",
          > "conservative" in religious and certainly political bias.

          It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
          folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
          that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
          many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
          adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
          bland, or offensive. Personally, re-reading the series for the first
          time in twenty-four years, I'm finding them better than I remembered
          them, though still not good. So think it's like MacDonald, something
          you have to grow up with to see the appeal of. Which makes Tolkien's
          ability to draw in both young and adult readers all the more
          interesting.
          The movie, which we finally saw last night, was interesting: its
          fidelity in the whole made the departures in specifics stand out. I
          think the Christian element is far more submerged in the film than in
          the book: it's much easier to enjoy simply as a story without judging
          it as a theological work, which I think was exactly the right choice
          to make for a film.

          > Gov. Bush
          > simply sounds ridiculous and why anyone would bother to quote such a
          > silly statement is beyond comprehension. I am certain that CS Lewis
          > himself would agree. No one is going to take these books off school
          > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
          > values." Lezlie

          Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
          article. Am I missing something?

          --JDR

          current reading: JOSEPH AND ASENETH
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
            From: "John D Rateliff" <sacnoth@...>

            > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
            > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
            > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
            > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
            > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
            > bland, or offensive

            Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
            later, and loved
            them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the boxed
            set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
            London...

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Ginger McElwee
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
              I also read all seven Narnia books (and the Charles Williams novels) when I
              converted to Christianity while I was in college. I loved the Narnia books
              and Williams, but I never cared for Lewis' adult trilogy. Of course, I
              still enjoy children's literature, so maybe I am not a typical adult reader.

              Ginger McElwee

              _____

              *

              _____

            • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
                > Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
                > later, and loved
                > them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the boxed
                > set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
                > London...

                I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
                school as Harry Potter is now.

                Joan
              • Walter Padgett
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 24, 2005
                  On 12/24/05, Joan.Marie.Verba@... <Joan.Marie.Verba@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I mean, do you
                  think I would like them?

                  Walter.

                • Christine Howlett
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                    Well, I was about 30 when I first read and loved them - another life-long
                    kid-lit fan. I liked CSL's trilogy, especially Perelandra, but parts of
                    That Hideous Strength put a bad taste in my mouth. But CSL's imagery is
                    compelling in spite of his peculiar ideas of women.
                    Christine

                    > From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
                    >
                    >> Well, in a counter-data-point, I first read them at college-age or even
                    >> later, and loved
                    >> them. I'm trying to remember if I read them all before purchasing the
                    >> boxed
                    >> set in the bookshop of Westminster Abbey during a Dec. 1967 stay in
                    >> London...
                    >
                    > I first read it in high school and loved it. It was as popular in my high
                    > school as Harry Potter is now.
                    >
                    > Joan

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Christine Howlett
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                      Certainly it depends on your tastes. If you still enjoy fiction written for
                      children, then I think this would please you. I think CSL does a better job
                      with the child characters and the animal characters than he does with his
                      adult characters. The children seem more real and rounded, a realistic
                      compound of good and bad, yet still rather fetching. The space trilogy
                      seemed almost a bad morality play with characters that got to be more and
                      more cardboard. I liked the fantasy and I loved the animal characters. But
                      if you find talking animals too cutesy, then by all means avoid it.
                      Christine

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

                        school
                        > > library shelves unless the Right makes a stink about their "religious
                        > > values." Lezlie
                        > >

                        > Afraid you've lost me here. I didn't see any quote from J.Bush in the
                        > article. Am I missing something?
                        >
                        > --JDR

                        Yup -- you did. First sentance of one of the two articles linked to --
                        "Narnian Order: Which C. S. Lewis book comes first?"
                        wherein the author quotes Gov. Bush (paraphrased) that the "liberals"
                        are "already" objecting to Narnia (the film). I've heard similar
                        silly statements from the "religious" press here and there as well.
                        Nonsense. Lezlie
                      • Lezlie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@e...> wrote:

                          > I was born in 1967. I've never read them. Should I? Why? I
                          mean, do you
                          > think I would like them?
                          >
                          > Walter.

                          You might consider it-- if only to keep up with the conversation
                          herein <grin>. I actually *didn't* like LWWW in grade school when we
                          read it as a class -- but, I enjoyed all seven books as a teen when I
                          read them to my little brother (who was born in 1965) and as an adult
                          when my daughter and I read three of the seven together (she was born
                          in 1984). She enjoyed them, too. I enjoy the hopeful message, the
                          fanciful characters, and the touches of humor. I didn't think CSL was
                          at all overbearing in his Christianity. I think my enjoyment of the
                          books stemmed from my love of fairy tales rather than any theological
                          consideration. Lewis led me back to Grimm & Perault and from there to
                          all sorts of places since.

                          Nowadays, my tastes in fantasy do run toward a more balanced views of
                          adults -- men, especially, women, and even *children* -- than CSL (or,
                          just about any writer in any genre of his generation) were able to
                          imagine. It won't stop me from seeing the film.

                          I, personally, find more interest and depth in Tolkien these days than
                          in Lewis -- either in Narnia or his SF trilogy. Lezlie
                        • Matthew Winslow
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                            On 12/23/05, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                            > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                            > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                            > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                            > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                            > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                            > bland, or offensive.

                            I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                            trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                            cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                            then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                            --
                            Matthew Winslow
                            mwinslow@...

                            Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
                          • Jonathan Michael Reiter
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                              Atomtetsuwan2002 here. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles for the first time in the many years since I read them in school.
                              That was lo, these many years past, to give you all an idea when that was...(I'm 42, now.) I am getting an entirely different grasp on the books(I'm breaking the tradition, now as I did then to my aunt's dismay... I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, first!). I think waiting all these years was a good idea.

                              Glad I didn't get to see the atrocious BBC made Cartoons and Live Action features that were made from the sound of them on this group...

                              Atomtetsuwan2002
                              at2k2
                              > It was interesting, in our latest Mythlond meeting, to find out
                              > folk's reaction to Narnia. I think without exception it turned out
                              > that those who had first read it as children still loved it after
                              > many re-readings and found it retained its charm now that they were
                              > adults. Those who read it for the first time as adults found it dull,
                              > bland, or offensive.

                              I missed the latest Mithlond due to illness, but I would've ruined the
                              trends, John. <g> I first read Narnia in 3rd grade (right after the
                              cartoon came out) and found them about as boring as you could get. I
                              then re-read them in my late teens, and found them much better.

                              --
                              Matthew Winslow
                              mwinslow@...
                              www.xreal.org

                              Currently Reading: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

                              Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report