Passing of Dan Timmons

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
      I just learned of this, from Michael Drout's weblog at:

      http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2005/12/dan-timmons-r.html

      This is tragic news, and a loss to Tolkien scholarship. I got to know
      Dan a bit through Mythcon, and he was as bright and friendly as he
      was enthusiastic about Tolkien studies.
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
        That is very sad news. A few months ago he sent me a picture of himself
        with his young son -- he looked very proud and happy. His excellent
        presentation from Mythcon 33 (I think it was 33) on Henry V and LotR is
        scheduled to appear in my collection Tolkien and Shakespeare next year.

        Janet

        I just learned of this, from Michael Drout's weblog at:

        http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2005/12/dan-timmons-r.html

        This is tragic news, and a loss to Tolkien scholarship. I got to know
        Dan a bit through Mythcon, and he was as bright and friendly as he was
        enthusiastic about Tolkien studies.

        Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday
        season!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
          Thank you Carl and Janet --
          This is indeed tragic and saddening--Jessica and I had the
          enlightening experience of meeting Dan at 2003's Gathering of the
          Fellowship conference, hosted a few panels he was on, heard his talk
          etc--he will be missed--
          We recently were in touch with Dan about being a guest of honor again
          at 2006 Gatheringofthefellowship.org --he accepted and was set to
          show film and talk--does anyone have any thoughts on how we can best
          memorialize him at GOTF? Would it be tacky if one of our guests--
          Carl, Verlyn, Mike Drout et--introduced it with a brief memorial talk
          on Dan prior to film? Would any one of you mind doing so?
          We would like to do something for him, he was a great leader in
          Tolkien Scholarship, certainly inspiring our own work and greatly
          supported our efforts at GOTF--

          Thoughts?
          Anthony and Jessica
          North East Tolkien Society
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@e...>
          wrote:

          > I just learned of this, from Michael Drout's weblog at:
          >
          > http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2005/12/dan-timmons-r.html
          >
          > This is tragic news, and a loss to Tolkien scholarship. I got to
          know
          > Dan a bit through Mythcon, and he was as bright and friendly as he
          > was enthusiastic about Tolkien studies.

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2005
            From: "Anthony and Jessica" <herenistarion@...>

            > We recently were in touch with Dan about being a guest of honor again
            > at 2006 Gatheringofthefellowship.org --he accepted and was set to
            > show film and talk--does anyone have any thoughts on how we can best
            > memorialize him at GOTF? Would it be tacky if one of our guests--
            > Carl, Verlyn, Mike Drout et--introduced it with a brief memorial talk
            > on Dan prior to film?

            That wouldn't be tacky at all. It sounds like an appropriate think to do as
            he was to be the guest of honor. I believe other cons have done very
            similar things when the guest died before the event. I'm sure his family
            would be very touched.

            Berni
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2005
              I have his home address, if anyone would like to send a sympathy card.
              Please contact me off-list. I plan to dedicate _Tolkien and
              Shakespeare_ to Dan in memorium.

              Janet
              jbcroft@...