Washington POST review

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2005
      This one's very curious with its blend of praise and lip-curled slam.

      " You can feel Lewis the professional writer cleverly pandering to his
      readership of patriotic, well-educated middle-class English adolescents of
      the '50s. ... The movie is really another in a long line of unquestioning
      colonial morale-raisers, so necessary for the maintenance of empire, circa
      1950, when the book was published: It's about the arrival in a troubled land
      (Narnia, in whose syllables may be heard a faint echo of "Britannia") of
      white Britons of noble visage, pale beauty and steely bearing in the middle
      of a war of darker creatures. "

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/08/AR2005120802255.html

      Amusingly, on another page I passed this morning I saw praise of the
      incredible beauty of "winter-steeped" Narnia. Of course that's supposed to
      be part of the =bad= part. Though, in the book, it does set off winningly
      the beauty of =coziness=, the tea with Mr. Tumnus, or when we get to the
      Beavers' home.

      Diamond Proudbrook