I'm going public! this is fascinating debate!

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      Holy cow, er, lion, or whatever!

      Good points, David. It's all too easy for artists/writers/etcs. to comment on
      one another's work with a
      spectacular lack of nuance. Tolkien & Lewis had differences that did not boil
      down to mutual "hate".
      I've had the experience of telling others I don't enjoy listening to endless
      Mozart on the classical radio
      station, then being confronted with "So you HATE Mozart?( How dare you!)" I then
      have to take pains to point out that
      Mr. Mozart made sensational contributions to Western Musical Civ, some of which
      I savor, but I get
      tired of the ubiquity of his stuff every hour of the day when there are so many
      unappreciated pcs. of musuc
      going begging. It's not about hate. It's often about other issues that somehow
      never get aired.

      Pullman "hates" Lewis? Maybe it's not about hate, but rather it might be about
      his feeling that various writers are putting their evangelism ahead of their
      literary acumen. Or who knows what? He's apparently been somewhat
      (understatement?) graceless in his
      expression of his antipathy. If he saw no love in Narnia or Scripture, I DO, in
      both, and I saw it in his work as well.

      Wish he could come to a Mytho. discussion & share his POV & engage with us. I
      suspect we'd hear some serious
      concerns on his part.

      I agree with those who have argued the esthetics, the visual wonder Lewis
      conveyed (He's so illustratable!), and the purity
      of story. Worked for me & I'm just a (confession time!)humble agnostic
      12-stepper.(CoDependents Anon.)!

      Love to all of you this holiday season!

      Bonnie