Re: Los Angeles Times Book Review of Narina series

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
      Fascinating critique-- can't say that I agree with some of the
      comparisons with LOTR. IMHO-- the two authors were "about" very
      different moral "messages" (if that idea can be applied to Tolkien in
      the same way as to Lewis). (Dubious at best, IMHO.)

      I liked (and, still like) Narnia because of a certain purity of
      *story*, itself, that I never found in Lewis' adult works. Lewis'
      penchant for pontification always got in the way of "That Hideous
      Strength" (and, the rest) for me. Narnia opened a door in my mind
      concerning seeing the art of story in the same way that Beagle.
      L'Engle, and, later, Tolkien did. The overtly "Christian" aspects
      completely escaped me until "The Last Battle".

      The misogyny of the previous generations (British, male, or no) is so
      well documented and critiqued that it's not even interesting any
      longer as an insight. I read the exclusion of Susan from the "Last
      Battle" to be about her embracing the "adult world" and therefore, no
      longer having the innocent wisdom of children that Narnia - and belief
      in Narnia - requires. ("They will be as little children.") Because
      of the obvious allusions to Revelations, it was also the least
      interesting of all the books to me as a child, or indeed, now as an
      adult. As I said, earlier, I grew up a Unitarian, so religiosity and
      allegory had and has little interest for me. ("Pilgrim's Progress"
      bored me to tears.)

      It was only as an adult coming into my own power as a woman, that I
      began to see the running theme of both real and implied misogyny in
      fantasy and science fiction. (I'm not the current youthful generation
      wherein the interactions between men and women are based, from the
      get-go, on a certain egalitarianism.) Something that is hardly the
      domain of F & SF prior to the current age, but rather, a basic
      assumption of the time and place, like "sky is blue" and "roses have
      thorns". Therefore, it would be odd not to find a certain level of
      misogyny (and, racism as well) in a genre dominated by educated male
      writers and publishers of a certain class and sensibility. The women
      writers of previous ages were hardly immune (re: Mary Shelly...) to
      the assumptions and attitudes of their time and place.

      That children – alone – have the innocent and imagination to enter a
      "different world" through a magical porthole is a literary device that
      is (now) used frequently enough in literature for children that I
      accepted Susan's exclusion then as a way of preserving Narnia for
      *children* and excluding the mysterious, critical, dull and serious,
      and sometimes frightening world of adults. I have the notion that
      other girl-children of my generation also accepted it in that light.