Re: [mythsoc] Re: A washingtonpost.com article from: chowlett@erols.com

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
      In a message dated 12/6/2005 2:00:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      sacnoth@... writes:

      No, but when you have hyperbole such as Kreeft's saying LWW ranks
      alongside the four gospels, or claims such as Wagner's that CSL is
      "the most influential Christian since Martin Luther", it's easy to
      see why those who consider him an okay author get impatient and
      overreact.

      You know, there are a lot of Wagners out there, and it would be helpful if
      you specified which one you meant. I didn't say that. Neither did the
      composer Richard Wagner. I presume that you mean the Richard Wagner who wrote _C.
      S. Lewis & Narnia for Dummies_.

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
        Sorry about that, Wendell.

        No, it was Richard Wagner in CSL & NARNIA FOR DUMMIES, page 47, with
        similar statements on pages 246 & 5. I thought the citing of one
        author in the first half of the sentence would implicitly convey that
        I was also talking about the author of another book on Lewis in the
        second half of the same sentence. I apologize for any confusion this
        may have caused.

        --JDR

        On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:24 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 12/6/2005 2:00:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > sacnoth@... writes:
        >
        >>> No, but when you have hyperbole such as Kreeft's saying LWW ranks
        >>> alongside the four gospels, or claims such as Wagner's that CSL is
        >>> "the most influential Christian since Martin Luther", it's easy to
        >>> see why those who consider him an okay author get impatient and
        >>> overreact.
        >

        > You know, there are a lot of Wagners out there, and it would be
        > helpful if
        > you specified which one you meant. I didn't say that. Neither
        > did the
        > composer Richard Wagner. I presume that you mean the Richard
        > Wagner who wrote _C.
        > S. Lewis & Narnia for Dummies_.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@e...> wrote:

          > and they're not going to approach CSL's novels from a neutral
          > position but based on what they've heard of him from the past, the
          > cliches they've inherited from their parents and grandparents. For
          > example, suppose Pat Robertson were a talented poet as well as a
          > telvangelist: the number of people who'd read his poems a generation
          > or two from now with an open mind, not caring about his calls for us
          > to assassinate foreign leaders, is relatively few. Similarly, if
          > Michael Moore were a talented painter, odds are that only people who
          > agreed (more or less) with his political or economic views would be
          > open to looking at his art;

          Oh, I don't know about that, we all look at paintings, novels, music
          and poems from previous generations with more forgiving eyes after
          they are dead. There are a couple writers from the
          not-too-distant-past that we all read and forgive for their
          political/religious/social/sexual viewpoints because they tell a good
          story. Particularly the somewhere-to-the-right-of-Attila-the-Hun cold
          war writers of the recent past. Not to mention the militarists,
          propagandists, racists, anti-Semites (and, everyone else), Maoists,
          Libertines, capitalist apologists, anti-war activists, and a couple of
          out-and-out whakos that have graced our library shelves, opera halls
          and museum walls over the last couple of centuries. <insert wicked
          smile> Lezlie