Lewis, the good and the bad

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
      This, I humbly submit, is a good article on Lewis:

      <http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/editorial/13325421.htm>

      But this one appears to have been left behind by the White Witch's polar
      bears, if you know what I mean:

      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1657759,00.html>

      And yes, since you ask: Polly Toynbee, its author, is indeed the daughter
      of the late Philip Toynbee, the pundit who famously declared in 1961 that
      Tolkien had "passed into merciful oblivion." So bad judgment runs in the
      family.

      DB
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
        In a message dated 12/5/2005 2:56:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        And yes, since you ask: Polly Toynbee, its author, is indeed the daughter
        of the late Philip Toynbee, the pundit who famously declared in 1961 that
        Tolkien had "passed into merciful oblivion." So bad judgment runs in the
        family.

        Famous family, I guess. Philip Toynbee's father was the historian Arnold
        Toynbee. His grandfather on his mother's side was the classicist Gilbert
        Murray. Several more somewhat famous people in this lineage.

      • Jay Hershberger
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
          Well, Ms. Toynbee can't even get names correct. To mention Norman
          Vincent Peale (She spelled it Peel) in the same breath as Lewis-an
          untoward comparision-demonstrates just how little she knows about Lewis,
          or religion in America. Perhaps it is all just sour grapes that the
          Inklings continue to outsell the Toynbees' collective literary tastes.

          Cheers,

          Jay Hershberger
          Moorhead, MN