Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
      >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
      >>feeling that way.
      >>
      >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

      Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
      don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
      already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
      that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

      >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
      >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
      >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
      >enrolled as of week 4?

      Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
      legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
      as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

      DB
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
        > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
        > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

        Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
        elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
        Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

        Elwin Ransom
        Was very handsome.
        He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
        But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

          >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
          >>

          >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
          >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
          >>>conference Nov. 3.

          Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
          which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
          answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
            At the
            banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

            Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

            Mike