Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      David Bratman wrote:

      >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
      >

      >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
      >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
      >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
      >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
      >>
      >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
      >>

      >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
      >feeling that way.

      Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

      >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
      >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
      >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
      >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
      >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
      >
      >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
      >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

      Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
      Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
      the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
      least but succeeds most.

      For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
      post me separately.

      So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

      But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
      CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

      Mike

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
        At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
        >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
        >>feeling that way.
        >>
        >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

        Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
        don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
        already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
        that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

        >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
        >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
        >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
        >enrolled as of week 4?

        Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
        legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
        as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

        DB
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
          > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
          > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

          Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
          elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
          Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

          Elwin Ransom
          Was very handsome.
          He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
          But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

            >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
            >>

            >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
            >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
            >>>conference Nov. 3.

            Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
            which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
            answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
              At the
              banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

              Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

              Mike